Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil change during warranty period?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005 | 04:26 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Oil change during warranty period?

I went down yesterday and bought the correct oil filter, as well as the suggested oil in preperation to change the oil myself and just found out today that if I change my own oil it can practically void the warranty? The jerk on the phone said that if I changed my own oil, then they have no way to assure that I used the correct things therefore totally voiding my 4 year warranty that I paid $500 for... And instead I have to pay $32.00 to them every time I want my oil changed! WTF is that about?

A buddy said I should just let them do the first change so that they can record it, then I could probably get away with doing every other oil change myself and they'd never know. Does that sound right? I don't have time to take my bike down to the deal clear across town, just to have them tell me they can't get to it until tomarrow, and I have all the stuff/knowledge needed to do it. Think I'd be ok to do it myself, or just let the dealer do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 03-11-2005 | 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

when i bought the 05 AT my dealer told me that there was no problem with me doing all the sevrices on it. i just keep all the recipts and try to buy the parts from them. Sounds like you got a shotty, gready dealer on your hands.
just my $.02
seth

Old 03-11-2005 | 06:33 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider

BS!!! Tell him to shove his oil change and you want to see in writing where it states that your warranty will be voided.

Old 03-11-2005 | 06:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

thats g*y.

Old 03-11-2005 | 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

ok warranty coverage page 247 in the 05 AT owners manual says your warranty coverage will NOT be voided if you choose to perform you own maintenance!!!!!!!!!
seth

Old 03-11-2005 | 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

when I bought my 04 the dealer told me to make sure to bring it back at around 20hrs for it's 1st servicing I told him I thought I could do it myself he said not if I want to have a warranty This didn't sit well with me so I called Honda Canada They said go ahead no problem with the warranty but said maybe keep a log book and receipts incase of a problem Then they sent me a cc of the email they sent the dealer pretty much telling him to knock off the poor PR

Old 03-11-2005 | 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, I'm from your area! Anyway, is it Stephen Wade Honda that's telling you that? They're f'n idiots. Liars too. They want $32 for a 5 minute job that's costing them $7.00? I hate that dealer and the people that work there. Change it yourself....or I'll do it for you for $20..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2005 | 01:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks for the replies everyone!

And yea, the dealer is Stephen Wade Power Sports and I agree with you 100% - I didn't get my Warranty Booklet with my bike, they instead said that it would be mailed to me within a couple weeks and I still haven't seen it so I haven't been able to check it. Thank you for checking yours though tynes! I don't know what I'm going to do yet... I would hate to just throw my warranty down the drain so I'll probably think about it over the weekend. Thanks again for all your replies!

Oh and by the way PADZZ, your 450r looks sweet with the yellow plastics! May I ask where you got yours? I've been thinking of getting new plastics, I hate that the warning stickers are riveted/molded to the stock plastics. Any info would be great, thanks!

Old 03-12-2005 | 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

As a tech at a dealership for over 20 years, I can tell you your dealer is full of pooh. Changing your own oil does not void your warranty, or their legal obligation to honor it. Unless of course the problem that arises is related to a mistake you made while working on it. It is a good idea to save your receipts, and keep a log book on your maintainance if you choose to do that as well.

Old 03-12-2005 | 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I do all my own service. I keep a folder with all the reciepts and I write down the date, mileage, and hours that I performed any service. I can tell you exactly what and when every service and repair (LOL 1 repair in 5000 miles) was performed.

If you ever have a problem once out of your warrantee and want help from the manufacture, you better have some pretty good records and reciepts to back up your claim "I took real good care of it".

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Oil change during warranty period?