Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Synthetic or Synth Blend Oil in Honda Autoclutch Bikes???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic or Synth Blend Oil in Honda Autoclutch Bikes???

I've been using 15-50 Mobil 1 in our '99 Recon & '01 250ex since they were new with no problems at all. I don't know if I'll run the new formula stuff yet though. Anyone know what the change was?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just a note to respond, I have been using the Mobil 1 MX4T also for about a year/400 miles. on my Rancher AT. I haven't
had any problems at all with the tranny. I changed to it after the 100 mi service. It's just like you said about wanting to
have the best protection available, so whats a few extra bucks anyway. Have fun!

Old 04-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have been trying to find an answer for this the past few days.

Will the Mobil 1 Clean 5000 that has the red cap work in a 400ex?
It says in the spec sheet that all except the 10w-40 oil has fricition modifying additives and all the other bottles I looked at has the "engergy conserving", but the 10w-40 didnt have that. I bought a case of it cause the manual said for it to not have that.

Their site also says this. "Can I use Mobil Clean 5000 in my motorcycle or my boat engine?

If your four-cycle motorcycle or boat engine calls for an API SM, SL, SJ, SH or SG rated oil, you can use Mobil Clean 5000.

Obviously, if you have a two-cycle motorcycle or outboard engine, you must use a two-cycle oil. However, we recommend that you follow the recommended oil change interval in your owner's manual."

From the spec sheet and the above statement I think this oil will work, but just want to know for sure before I put it in the bike. I dont want clutch problems on my brand new quad.

This oil is just a petrolium based oil isnt it? Not a synthetic or a synthetic blend? I dont think it will be a problem since we dont have very cold winters here in Arkansas and I plan on keeping the oil in it pretty fresh.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't mess with any oil that isn't motorcycle specific. If you want to run Mobil, run MX4T. It is API SG, instead of the more watered down later S? rated oils.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Red Rider

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/450678.cfm

In another post, somebody says that the newer owners manuals say you can run Hondas synth blend HP4 (without moly) in the Rancher. If that is true, then Honda is telling us that it is OK to run a synthetic.......end of controversy. I did a 100 mile ride this weekend with Maxima Extra (100% ester synthetic), and no problems of any kind.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Red Rider

OK, I went to the Honda dealership today, and I looked at the 05 owners manuals for all the utility bikes, both autoclutch and fully automatic. They all now spec HP4 synthetic blend without moly, for all the bikes. My conclusion is then, that it is OK to run synthetics or synth blend oils. My hunch is that they did some reformulation of HP4, and that is what has made the difference rather than any changes to the bikes themselves. End of story!

Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem getting information about Honda's HP4 oil as well and wasn't sure if I could use it in my 2004 rancher AT because of the wet clutch. When I bought my machine I also puchased the Honda service manual for my quad (The real honda service manual, not a 3rd party). One day while glancing through the maintenance section I noticed that the recommended oils were "Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (without Molybdenum additives)" HP4 without Moly is also mention in the "Lubrication section" as well, so i'm guessing it is an approved oil to use and have been using it for a while now. There is also HP4 available with Moly so you have to pay attention when buying.

Old 05-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2001 Rubicon with 1,300 hard miles. Here is my observations:

First couple of oil changes used the Honda GN4 and the oil was dirty after each change and smelly.

Switched to the synthetic Motul $$$$ and my MPG went up 2-3 MPG. Could be coincidence or less friction. Oil was very clean when drained.

Got couple of Mobil 1 MX4T cases from a Walt Mart blow out sale and have been using it for the last two years. Oil is extremely clean, so clean I was thinking of using it again.

All my equipment is using this MX4T and I will be extending my oil changes.

Recon Ranger I have been using the MX4T on my Recon 250ES and again extremely clean and no smell and no loss of viscocity (using the finger test) no lab work hihi. I

religously clean the air filters and the intakes never have any dust. As soon as I see dust in the intake I will change the oil for fear of contamination.

Go with the Synthetic you will be happy.

CUL
Marco Polo

Old 05-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

MX4T works for me.