Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

k&n vs uni vs other?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default k&n vs uni vs other?

The K&N isnt unsafe... Its just not as effective in wet conditions. The foam filters a little better, thats why it flows a little less. But a K&N is by no means unsafe in any condition that a foam filter would still be ok in. If you are nervous, have your buddy throw an outerwear over the K&N and dont worry about it.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks....

Old 03-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fil...tml#OilFilters (top of the page) Unfortunately, they don't relate any experiences with foam.

Used K&N for years, but never did really trust them. They would never be very dirty! Where was all that dirt going if it wasn't in the filter???

Play it safe and go with a UNI!

Old 03-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

I have heard many people say the K&N doesn't filter out the really small stuff. The particles that are left are so small they do not settle into the engine but are expelled throught the exhaust and cause no damage. I have pondered these K&Ns for years. I've had one on my mustang for over 10 years with no problems. I had one on my trucik for about 4 years. About a month ago I changed back to paper on the truck. I run foam on the 400ex. I think the K&N is risky but who knows. They require so little maintenance, they just make me nervous.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

K&N filters are just easier to maintain....all have basically the same air cleaning properties.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

K&N can be DANGEROUS too if used in the wrong conditions!

I use to race go karts on dirt. We tore the engine down after every race. When we ran the K&N filters on dry dusty nightst here was always red mud in the crankcase. This came from the fine particles blowing past the rings. We ran loose oil rings because the engine runs faster that way. These were heavily modified engines. Stock they were 5hp after we modified them to the rules they were 30 plus.

The foam filters never did this. They filtered out all the red dust. We lost a little horsepower with the foam but not much. What I finnaly decided to do was to run the K&N when the dust was low(wet track) and run the foam when the track was a dust bowl.

Trust me a K&N lets dirt in the engine. It will put fine sand on the rings and valves. Those parts will wear out faster. If it gets past the rings you will have very fine particles in the oil that the filter can't remove.

I'm not saying it will blow up immedialty or anything like that but continued use will cause alot more wear than a foam filter.
SO ultimately its up to you If you want peak hp and don't run in dusty conditions run the K&N. I put one in on rainy days on my quad

If you ride dirt roads and run with other riders it's going to be dusty and you should run the foam.

If you ride on pavement K&n is fine. Thats why its ok for most cars. If you ride on dirt roads in your car all day you may have some early ring and valve wear. Which will cause smoking and compression loss. The top ring needs to stay tight for the best compression and HP the bottom 2 just keep oil out and scrape the cylinder wall. Loose is faster. It's also better to burn some oil and lube the top ring and valves. Lead used to do this but now its gone from gas. If you burn oil though you will need to pull the head and remove carbon sometimes with a wire brush on a drill.

Plain and simple.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

If you didn't read what i posted basicly heres what to remember

No air filter: Maximum air flow and no filtration = Maximum HP

K*N: Good for street. Horrible in dry dusty conditions. Fine if its damp-no dust. = almost maximum hp

FOAM: Good all around- good air flow and filtration = slightly less than maximum hp

Paper: Best filtration but worst airflow= Very restrictive on hp

Old 03-16-2005, 04:13 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Originally posted by: 12pointbuck
what do you guys mean when you say that the k&n can be "unsafe". I am sh#ttin@ in my pants because I just sold my rancher es to my hinting buddy and it had a k&n filter on it. WTF should I do? any recomendations?
Tests I've seen, performance foam air filters didn't filter any better than K&N. It's all personal preference.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Foam just gives me the peace of mind that I need, even though I've ran both and never had a problem with either.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

foams are prolly better for dust... i think there really made to wash your ***** with... go with K&N