Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Pipe and Sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipe and Sprocket?

Hey everyone!

I just got back from my first dune trip ever out at the Coral Pink Dunes and I decided I definately need that 13 tooth sprocket and I'm even thinking of putting a pipe on it... I'll probably just pick up a sprocket here at the local dealer, but their prices on pipes are just flat out halarious! Any suggestions as to what pipe I should put on an 05 TRX450r?

I've heard Yoshimura pipes are one of the best built pipes overall, but the price is pretty steep. Someone else mentioned to me that he has a Sparks pipe on his 450r, and he said it's the biggest change he as ever noticed with a pipe, but I can't find much about them. But someone told even told me that if I didn't put on a Honda built pipe on it, that it would void the warranty? Wouldn't a Honda pipe be better than an FMF/ProCircuit/Etc pipe since they can focus the research towards one brand of bike rather than building pipes for all bikes? If not, why is LRD such a highly praised pipe?

I'm so confused, please help!!

EDIT: Oh and by the way I did search... I'm not really asking for suggestions just because someone likes a certain brand, I'm more looking for people who actually have 450r's and have maybe even tried several different pipes? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Old 03-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

I have a new insert in my stock muffler. it was $40 on ebay. I ran with a 450r at the dunes. He had a big gun muffler, and had nothing on me. He won races, and I won races. I suggest saving the 300 bucks and get that insert from ebay.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

A Yoshi pipe is onle around 400$.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: drgnerth
A Yoshi pipe is onle around 400$.
Full system or Slip on? Mind posting a link to where I could find one for that price? All the full system ones I have found are $600+ and that's way too high for me to justify spending that much on a pipe... O.o Did you have a Yoshi on your YFZ before your HMF? If so, how would you compare each one with low end/top end power increase?

And I'll look into that insert... All in all I'll still probably just get a new pipe though. $500 is pretty easily made and would be well worth the performace I have heard I will gain. Thank you very much for the information though, it's always appreciated!

I'm not really interested in increasing my high end speed, I'm more trying to get lower power, faster at my starts or in low rpms so I don't bog down going up big dunes or stall it at the top of one. =(

Thanks for the replies!

Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

www.rockymountain.com Comp series full system is $395.95. My cousin has one on his 450r and it runs like a champ. the pro series costs around $600.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh I see! I never really noticed the comp one, just always looked at the pro series. =) Thanks for the heads up, sorry to be a newbie =p

Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Dr.D slip-on on mine and I like it. Not saying it's better than any of the others but it seems to be made really well and performance picked up all the way across the board. I've had it out once since I installed it and the traction was terrible that day(hard packed and loose on top) I was spinning into 3rd and barely had traction in 4th!! I'll know better this weekend when I go for 3 days....

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

I Have the LRD and its great. I ride a 400EX but some of my buddies have a 450r and also run the LRD. It seems to give good power everywhere and pulls throughout the powerband. I'm very pleased with mine.

Sound like you'll be at Coral Pink often I have a couple pics from down there maybe i'll see you down there. We are coming down at the end of april.

DWT

Old 03-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Heya ONEANDONLYDWT, you go to Coral Pink often? That first picture of you doing a wheelie is great, and damn nice bike! We will be heading out there one of these weekends in April so I'll keep an eye out for you... I won't be too hard to miss, I'm probably the only guy out there riding their 450r like a girl! =p I also have a buddy who has a 05 Troy Lee Pred so he stands out quite a bit with his bright *** fenders!

LTZ: I read a little bit about that Dr. D but haven't found many people using them. Do you notice much more low-end power and does it give more high-end or low-end power? I'm also curious as to what the difference is between a slip-on and a full exhaust system? I'm guessing kind of like just putting a muffler on a car compared to running new pipe back all the way from the block?

I picked up my 13t sprocket yesterday and got her on today along with a K&N and just took her out for a little spin and WOW! The lagness I was getting in first is completely gone! I don't have much area very close to my casa so I wasn't able to get her going very fast but I notice she gets up there a lot quicker! I might have to wait a little bit before a pipe, but I'm still not sure what I want to get. I met someone who had an HMF pipe on their 450r and although I didn't get to ride it, it sounded pretty damn good and he claimed that it made a big difference. He said he previously had the Yoshi but preferred the HMF over it for reasons unknown... Anyone that has experience with the HMF pipes care to share their opinions?

As always, any info/opinions/flames are always welcome! =)