Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Raptor kicked my 400EX butt

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I raced a Raptor and Banshee two laps around the Silver Lake sand dunes. My 400EX has some modifications but the Raptor and Banshee were stock. I have a White Bros. e-series slip-on with 14 disks, XR250 ICM, 10:1 Wiseco 85mm, K&N filter, 14 tooth counter sprocket, 20" 8 paddle Haulers, 165 main jet, Denton steering stabilizer.

The conditions were nearly perfect, due to several days of very windy weather, the sand was super smooth. There was no way I could keep up with the Raptor, it pulled away from my 400 easily. It accelerated much harder than the 400 and ran away on the top end. The Banshee was easily faster than my 400EX too.

After these guys would get about 100 to 200 yards ahead of me they would slow down to let me catch up. Then they would run away again, it didn't matter if it was the flats or whoops or the big hills. That Raptor is faster through it all. The only competion I could offer was to the Banshee and that was through the whoop sections. The Yamaha riders traded their machines after the first lap and we went at it again with the same results.

As far as the Raptor being tipsy- I don't believe it. In one instance, we were coming down a long gentle slope wide open in top gear and had to make a sweeping turn. I was able to cut to the inside of the Banshee but not the Raptor. I felt like my 400 was on the absolute limit of grip but that Raptor cut a much tighter radius while pulling away from me at the same time (400EX w/ straight paddles vs 660 w/ stock tires).

Old 09-26-2000, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I would have to say....I am the owner of a banshee and a 400ex. I give you credit for your review. I think you are the first person with a 400ex that has addmitted to being a little slower than those other 2 machines for those riding conditions.
Most people will argue until they are red in the face about the power of the 400ex.
I love the 400...it's a great bike, but it lacks a bit on top end. (at least in the sand it seems)
What it does lack on top is made up in other areas though....ease of starting, relatively low maintenance. It's an all around good sport quad.

I have yet to ride a raptor...But it seems it's going to pick up where the 400 left off. Both have good suspension, a fairly forgiving riding style, good handling characteristics and seem to be quite versatile for alot of different environments. Where the 400 lacks top end(too me), thats where the raptors larger power plant comes into play. (and reverse, which is nice)
Until I get to ride a raptor, I will say that the 400 is more than enough quad for most trail rides and even mx for all that matters.
Most people take too much time worrying about the "top speed" of thier quad...without looking at the overall performance qualities. I would prefer to have a quad that is good for many conditions. My banshee will rip my arms off. But there has to be a reason I have a 400 and a banshee.

Good post.

Old 09-26-2000, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I raced a rapter last week too on my stock 400ex on a homemade mx track off the line it got the holeshot. I could keep up but hardly ever pass him. I would gain on him in the whoops and in the realy sharp corners but it would pull back away in the straight aways. We raced 5 races of 10 laps and he won 3 of them. He had a stock 250r before and we ran about even.

Old 09-26-2000, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I admire your honesty.....Hey I can admit I get beat too! (more times than not) To make the story short my neigbors have Banshee's and I had my Wolverine. Yeah whenever I rode with them I ate so much dust I would have enough time to pull over to the side of the trail turn the bike off take a leak and get all the gear back on and the trail would just be getting cleared off for me! =-) I got beat by the Grizzly I ride with all the time too. Not to mention the Warrior. But the Banshee guys traded their bikes in and are now using "mom+dads" Haha wait till the "slow one" gets his Raptor then we'll see who gets roosted and dusted over and over and over again!

Old 09-26-2000, 02:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Did you guys get to do any hill shooting? Thanks!

Old 09-26-2000, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I Raced a crapter up a 100 yard hardpack hill with very good traction with my stock 400 along with a banshee. The rapter won every time exept for 2. Me and the guy on the banshee would always run about even with the crapter 1 to 2 quad links ahead. The only two times I won were when the crapter missed a gear.The guy let me ride his crapter and I like the power better but I think my 400 handles a tad better. I guess yamaha finaly beat honda! (for now) Long live Honda

Old 09-26-2000, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for 'HONEST' report. You don't get to many of those on these forums

Old 09-26-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, didn't do any hill shooting that day- it was all chase the leader. One other thing I remember that impressed me was an awesome wheelie the first Raptor rider pulled. He was just getting out of a long section of whoops when he stood the thing up and warped away from us. Those stock tires seemed to get plenty of traction in the sand.

Old 09-26-2000, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

First, the raptor having 260cc more than the 400ex, and being just about $1000.00 more. I would hope it would beat it!!

Old 09-26-2000, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

griz400ex -word for word what I was going to type great post!!!!
rick{nv}

Quick Reply: Raptor kicked my 400EX butt