Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

electro start vs. kick start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electro start vs. kick start

Originally posted by: kingofthemudholes
it dont matter to me. because most fo the bikes i ride with kick start are real nice quads. but, i hate kickin that quadzilla. if it kicks back up and catchas your ankle. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol yea, but once ya get used to it, starts with ease

Old 03-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

i like electric start. really convenient. yea i've riddin a banshee in the woods and on a LONG and STEEP hill i stalled it, and it was at such an angle and weird position that i had to slowly roll it back down. e-start would have been nice, but i guess it's a suitable punishment for me stalling it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

well i'd say one is screwed if the electric start went out with no auxilary back up pull start, but i think all of the electrics have a back up.. correct?

Old 03-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

They used to. Not anymore. With a 300EX or 400EX, if your battery dies, the only way you'll be able to start the engine is to either:
a) Jump Start
b) Push Start

Old 03-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

yeah we had to do that to our chevelle one time, we pushed it down hill and it started, never knew it would work on an atv. makes sense tho

Old 03-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, thats one of the things I hate about my V. If your battery goes out, there's no auxillery start. Being that it's auto, you can't push start it either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2005, 05:16 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: waynerod
I totally agree on the CR500 kicker... Wow! What a beast, eh?

I remember my dad kicking and swearing before he finally brought CR500 beast to life.

I started it a few times - it was like a 4x harder kick than my cr250.

I could be out to the buttes (and he'd still be in the backyard) before he fired that thing up - but he would be on me like ants on honey before I knew it!

Man those were the days.

And I want to put one in my atc250r frame.....
Yes the CR500R will reward half hearted kicks with a painful kick back. I have seen people blow out knees before, while attempting to start it. Mine wasnt bad usually a 2 kick when cold and 1 when warm, unless you were tired. It seemed to know when you were tired too. But once it is running, definitely sweet. I now use it for dunes only, It throws quite a roost with a paddle tire.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

well lets hope it doesn't die out on you in the middle of the sahara desert eh? well i guess the only option is towing it back, hope you have a friend and a rope with ya, and then go buy a new battery or charge it up for that matter. but i think that is a major design flaw by the company.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:17 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: vtwiner
After 18 years of kick starting my Honda 200x, I definately have problems with my right knee. The bike would usually start up on the first kick, but over time, my knee got to the point of being worn out. I'm only 30 now and don't look forward to how the knee will be when I get older.
If it is like mine it will only get worse. I still havnt had mine operated on yet. But it was the reason I looked for a e-start bike. KTM has a back up kick starter.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

i would have gone with the "R" if it had e-start but i went with the EX. after all the years of have dirtbikes i always hated goin out in the winter and kicken for a while . especially the Rm 400 i have i usually just pop-start it to save me the hassle.

Quick Reply: electro start vs. kick start