Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

electro start vs. kick start

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electro start vs. kick start

is there any advantages bewtween the two i know electronic start is easier probably but what is more reliable and does it matter... if you have kick start do you still have a battery too.. kinda new at this a bit looking bewteen 450r and the trx400ex. help meo ut thanks

Old 03-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No battery on the kicker. Once you get the drill down, kicking over the R is no big deal. First kick every time, even on a dead cold engine. Only thing that will cause a problem is if you use throtle while it is hot, you can flood it. Then you will have to kick it a few times to clear out the excess fuel.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

kick start is nice, never have to worry about the battery going dead, i wish i could keep my electric start and have a backup kick starter

Old 03-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

it dont matter to me. because most fo the bikes i ride with kick start are real nice quads. but, i hate kickin that quadzilla. if it kicks back up and catchas your ankle. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Range Rover

I think electric starts are for weenies. Yes - I do.

My motto is 'if you can't start it - you can't ride it'

So many fewer kids would be hurt/killed if this was the norm.

Now anybody can start it - just push the button.

My son can easily start his ATC70 (duh...) - and he's ready for a bigger bike (he wants a cr85).

But until he can start my 250r - he won't be riding it.

Now - I admit - there are times when electric start would be nice - but I say man up (or woman up for our fellow female riders) and kick that bike to life!

For those that wnat to ride an 800cc four stroke - you should have a damn powerful leg for kicking that beast. None of this pu$$y push button $hit.

Thats why the 450r's don't have electric starts - they're not for pu$$ys.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:47 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Not sure how old you are vinny3299, but at 45 I bought my ktm because it was e-start. If you keep the battery fresh it is no problem. After 20 yrs of kicking a CR500 I was tired and sore. Do agree with waynerod about kids being able to kick start their ride, but I am old, tired, and have a bad knee.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

great to hear that feedback from you guys... thanks

Old 03-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

I think for the racing the 450s were designed to do, the starting method is a moot point. I only rarely need to restart my bike in a race, and have never had to restart my ATV during a race. And even the dead engine starts at a desert race can be won just as easily with a kickstart ATV as they can by a push button start ATV. I have been going through the process of choosing between a YFZ and a 4-fiddy-R in the last few months, and just decided to get the YFZ, but not because of electric start. The method of starting the ATV, and reverse, have nothing to do with it.

If electric start and reverse are important, you may be looking at the wrong ATV. Just my $.02

Old 03-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Range Rover

I totally agree on the CR500 kicker... Wow! What a beast, eh?

I remember my dad kicking and swearing before he finally brought CR500 beast to life.

I started it a few times - it was like a 4x harder kick than my cr250.

I could be out to the buttes (and he'd still be in the backyard) before he fired that thing up - but he would be on me like ants on honey before I knew it!

Man those were the days.

And I want to put one in my atc250r frame.....

Old 03-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

After 18 years of kick starting my Honda 200x, I definately have problems with my right knee. The bike would usually start up on the first kick, but over time, my knee got to the point of being worn out. I'm only 30 now and don't look forward to how the knee will be when I get older.

Quick Reply: electro start vs. kick start