Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Winch cable dynamics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2000, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in need of replacing my winch cable. I do not want to pay $60+ for a OEM replacement. The question I have is whether ferrules (the pieces that loop a cable back onto itself) have weight limits. I found some for 3/16 cable at Home Depot but I am concerned about them not being strong enough. I am also concerned about fastening them, I know the factory uses machine presses (swaging machines) to fasten the ferrules. Is a hand swaging tool (looks like bolt cutters) able to tighten the ferrules enough for the high capacity/stress that will be put on the line? All information is appreciated!

Old 09-28-2000, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hand-swaged cable terminations are o.k., as long as you don't exceed the design size of the "bolt-cutters," good only for smaller cable. If you have any doubts about the strength of your termination, put an extra one on!

Ideally, have the loops swaged by a rigging shop with a hydraulic press. Use a "thimble" to line your loop, whatever method you use. Properly-swaged wire rope maintains its full strength.

While marginally weaker than swaged terminations, cable clips provide a convenient field technique for making a loop on the cable end. Use a minimum of two clips on the end, spaced at least several cable diameters apart, and an inch or more from the end of the wire. The saddle goes on the "live" or load-bearing side of the loop; the U-bolt goes on the "tag" or dead end of the line ("never saddle a dead horse"). Torque the U-bolt nuts down good; pull on the loop under load with the winch, then torque the U-bolt nuts again. Inspect the loop now and again to see if the cable has slipped any; torque down more if any movement from the original position is visible.

Either a swaged or a cable-clipped loop will safely hold the hook on your replacement winch cable.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-29-2000, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer:
Oops! I never thought about "saddling a dead horse". Guess I better check my 100' extra winch line for "snatching" purposes to see whether my horse is "dead or alive"!

Mike

Old 09-29-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

the best way to put a hook on a new piece of cable is to braid it..just like they do at the factory when they make them..the aluminum crimps seem to be more of a way to keep the cable end neat and from catching on things,not for securing purposes, i know the crimps do help hold it otgether but the strength really comes from the braid..if you cant braid i think cable clamps would be best but look cheesy..the cable on quads is easy to braid,its when you get up to the 1/2 inch and bigger sizes that are hard to do by hand..if you want to know how to braid cable let me know its real easy,and it works good as factory cable,ive done it on cable for wreckers that tow tractor trailer units,it works