Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Obtaining Honda Tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obtaining Honda Tools

Tried to order some tools listed in the 400ex manual from Service Honda. They don't order tools but suggested my local Honda dealer. I called the local Honda dealer who said he can place the order but he has some open tool orders for over 6 months. I inquired as to how they got their tools. He said they get them when a new model comes out and then it is very difficult after that even when one of their tools breaks. I wanted to know how they fixed a quad if they didn't have the right tool. He said sometimes they can't.

Can anyone help out? Anyone know how to contact Honda customer service? Would a Japanese Honda dealer have better luck in getting tools?

Thanks,

Jon

Old 04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Range Rover

no dude...stop a snap on or mac truck and ask for one of their catalogs....they have any and all tools needed to work on any of these machines....theyre a little pricey but youll only buy it once...but most are guaranteed for life...good thing is if you have to order it only takes a week to get in....hope this helps

Old 04-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Will they have the ball joint remover so you can release the upper and lower arms off the knuckle? It is too difficult to pound these out without causing damage. Most of the time I am replacing the a-arms so it doesn't matter - I just pound on the a-arm.

Also, a perfect fitting tool for removing the bearings from the swingarm. A 19mm socket is close but sometimes the outerbearing race is the only portion stuck in the swingarm. It is next to impossible to get out without accidently whacking the aluminum swingarm and denting it.

/Jon

Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Range Rover

yeah....this catalog im telling you about...it will have every tool you can possible think of...and if it doesnt its something that you would never use anyway...like a flux capacitor or something....ball joint pullers you ask...youll have your choice on different models shapes sizes....they sell the right tool for the job...no beating and denting stuff....trust me ...i owned a full service shop and junk yard for ten years...snap on or mac is where you get the right tools...if you are unsure by looking thru catalog...just ask the rep....he will know what you need and if he doesnt...he can find the answer...thats his job....i cant believe your dealer told you all that...knowing good and well snap and/or mac services their shop...sounds like they dont want you to fix your own stuff....and personally if they dont have these companies coming by then i would want my stuff there anyway...lol....the dealer not having the right tools...

Old 04-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

motionpro.com has good tools too

Old 04-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A special tool isn't needed to get ball joints loose from the a-arm.
All you need is a big hammer. Remove the cotter pin and nut. Don't hit down on the a-arm downwards, hit the side of the end of the a-arm where the ball joint bolt goes through it. The ball joint is a taper fit, below the threads, and as the nut is tightened, it binds into the a-arm. When you hit the a-arm on the side of the end, the taper 'breaks', and the ball joint is easily removed. Depending how hard you wack the arm, I normally knock them loose with a 22 ounce ball peen hammer in 2 or three good hard hits. They can be tough to remove if the nut was overtightened, but the hammer on the side works 99% of the time for me. When a pickle fork is used you can count on tearing the dust boot when the wedge is pounded between the joint and a-arm.
Honda tool is good for getting us special tools and replacements for worn out ones. Sometimes you can find the same tools at American Kowa tool, OTC tool, or like mentioned above from a tool truck who distributes tools for Snap-On, MAC, Matco etc...

----- Gimpster -----

Old 05-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

I used another Honda Dealer in WV called Riderville Cycle. They had all the Honda tools I wanted (about 12 of them) to me in 2 weeks. Guess the dealership in Crofton, MD can be added to the list of crappy dealerships.

/Jon