Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for how the 400ex is built looks quite fine to me, im not the one to pull off Heuvos II jumps or anything even close to that, heck I think my biggest jump I did was about 15 feet high and about 20 feet long and I landed fairly well.
All I am mainly going to do is drag race some ppl, trail ride, climb hills, have an overall good time.

Old 10-04-2000, 11:06 PM
Range Rover

step up? no steping up to a 400ex from a blaster is more like a climb good choice
killer 86 4trx250r
RIDE RED OR RIDE HOME!!!

Old 10-04-2000, 11:13 PM
Range Rover

whatever man the 400ex is cool poor craftsmanship
there something i didn t think anybody could say about honda let me then ask you this why is it selling like hotcakes and how much does honda pay dw to say the handleing is perfect and that all the test riders were in love it or how the long treavel shocks were really impressive hummm
maybe u got a bad one hay it happens ya know
EVEN to honda
BAD!! 4TRX250R
RIDE RED OR RIDE HOME!!!

Old 10-04-2000, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

Are all Polaris owners this stupid? Or just the ones that like to run their yap in the HONDA forum?

Old 10-04-2000, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

My 400EX runs pretty well with my Brothers RM125, And he semi-professionally races it, the kid is good. At any rate, with a compotent rider, the 400 should hold it's own with the bike, but terrain can make one heck of a difference. (Don't be behind him when your bud gets stuck in a mud hole, I've never seen anything throw endless amounts of mud, like a good running two stroke dirt bike.........)

I had to sell my EX, needed reverse, and bought a Raptor. BUT The EX was plenty fast for me, heck, if Honda sold a reverse bolt on kit for it, I'd have kept it.

As for why I need reverse......370 pound quad, 110 pound rider......trail rides.....mud.....110 pound rider after 2 hours of riding.....Yeah. Definately needed reverse.

Ride it like ya stole it!

Old 10-05-2000, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

THOSE WHO SAY THE 400EX IS RELIABLE, LISTEN UP.....HONDA SALES THIS OFF AS A SPORT BIKE RITE? SO IM GOING TO RIDE IT LIKE A SPORT BIKE....BUT IT DONT HOLD UP LIKE ONE...IVE BROKE MY AIRBOX COMPLETELY OFF FROM BOTTOMING OUT, AND KNOCK A BIG DENT IN THE STOCK SILENCER(POOR ENGINEERING),BROKEN STOCK A ARMS, SWINGARM, AND HOW BOUGHT THOSE 2$ HANDLE BARS? AND THE FRONT SHOCKS? PLEASE, THEY ARE JUNK, YOU CAN ADJUST OR REVALVE THEM...AND THE PLASTIC? FLIP IT OVER ONE TIME AND BUST THOSE CHEAP POP RIVETS AND SEE IF YOU PLASTIC EVER SITS STRAIGHT AGAIN, ESP. THOSE HEADLIGHTS...AND LOOK AT ALL THE CRACKED FRAMES...DID YOU KNOW THE 250R SWINGARM IS RATED AT 9 TIMES THE LOAD OF BREAKING AS THE 400ex!! THEY DONT MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TOO!! SUMMARY, THE THING IS LIKE AN EGG, DONT DROP IT....

Old 10-05-2000, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

BUBBAG - Maybe you need to learn how to ride. A sport bike is not meant to be bottomed out all the time. Why would you want to jump something and slam it repeatedly?? I rode two weeks ago with an 18 year old kid and a new 2001 400EX, I saw the bottom of that thing more than I saw the top. No cracked plastic. The handle bars bent, but go out and bar those tough after market bars and you'll be replacing a steering stem when they don't give in a situation that something HAS to.

Old 10-05-2000, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

BUCKEYE, IT IS OBVIOUS YOU DONT MOTORCROSS...SO DONT GO YAPPING BOUT THIS ORDEAL WHEN YOU DONT KNOW...AS FAR AS HANDLE BARS, THE TRICK IS TO SET THEM TIGHT ENOUGH TO STAY, AND LOOSE ENOUGH TO ROLL DOWN IF YOU FLIP....BESIDES, MY DAD IS A MACHINIST, SO I GET MY STEM AND AXLE STRAIGHTENED FOR FREE..

BUBBAG 426EX, +2 ARMS, AXIS SHOCKS FRONT AND REAR, DURABLUE AXLE, BEADLOCKS(RADIALS AND TURFS),AC NERFS AND BUMPER, BURGARD STEM, RENTHALS, WB CDI BOX,CASE SAVER, LONESTAR CARRIER, NACS BLOCKOFF,RAD LOCK NUT,MAIER RACE PLASTIC,BLACK GRIPPER SEAT,K&N FILTER AND OUTWEAR,SIDEWINDER CHAIN AND SPROCKETS,AND A HINSON EIGHT PLATE CLUTCH KIT...NO TELL ME, I DONT MOTORCROSS?

Old 10-05-2000, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

OH, AND THANKS FOR THE CHANCE MOTOHEAD...HHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA

Old 10-05-2000, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have a friend who races MX on a 400ex with a WB pipe, front radials and rear turf tamers, a uni filter, nerfs and renthal bars, no suspension or real engine mods and he can beat almost all the 125s on the track.

Dont get me wrong, I have a 250r and cant run with the bikes, but this kid is freaking scary fast. With stock suspension, he doesnt slow down in the whoops, it looks like hes getting beat to death through them, but he is ***** out all the time!

He is impressive to watch, and even more impressive knowing hes stock. This weekend while practicing, there were modded out 400's with 440's, cams, suspension, you name it and they were all trying to run with him, within a lap he wuold have 5-10 seconds on them all.
But the 400 is capable if you ride it hard enough.

Quick Reply: 400EX vs ?