Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil for Rubicon

NO hondalube but anything else I will consider

Old 04-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Maxima oils for all my bikes. Personally, I prefer the ester synthetics (http://www.maximausa.com/technical/l...beNews2002.pdf), but you will need to do some research before deciding on running any synthetic in your Rubicon transmission.

I have posted before on whether one can run a synthetic oil with a Honda centrifugal clutch. Notice that Honda does not recommend even their own HP4 synth blend for the Rubicon, only their petrolium GN4. So, there is some question about compatibility. I have been running Maxima Extra in my Ranchers with no problems, Maxima synth blend in the smaller bikes, and Maxima Ultra in my big sport bikes. If you decide on a petrolium oil, run Maxima ATV Premium 4T. In any case, be sure to get a API SG/JASO MA oil.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Old 04-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody has an opinion, and heres mine.

For the first 3000 miles I used Valvoline AllClimate 10w40 engine oil. At 3000 miles I switched to Valvoline ATV 4-stroke 10w40 oil.

The main reason I switched is because of the SG oil rating. SG contains copper and other heavy metals that were removed when the SL ratings came into effect. Honda reccommends SG rated oil. The copper and other metals theoretically filled scratches in cylinder walls, bearings and crankshaft journels.

Valvoline ATV oil carries SF/SG/SJ and JASO MA ratings and is also designed to be used with wet clutches.

I use Honda brand oil filters and replace both oil filter o-rings and both aluminum drain plug gaskets every time I change the oil. I also change it every 500 miles. I have only added oil between oil changes maybe 3 times and it was less than 1/2 qt each time.

As of today I have 5136 miles and 604.5 hours on it. It runs as good as it did new, if not better.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not long ago, Honda's oils were SG. In the last year or so they quietly went to SJ, I suppose hoping that nobody would notice! That's not something I am going to miss.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So after all the stink they raised about SG they changed their mind???? I do believe what happened is they had to buy tons of oil to get their label on it and now they ran out and their is no more SG oil, except like "ATV" oils. Now what makes their oil better than regular engine oil???

I will stick with the Valvoline ATV oil because Valvoline does blend it for ATVs with wet clutches and it does have additives for different conditions created by ATV engines and transmissions.

reconranger, one of the reasons I switched to the ATV oil is the JASO MA rating for manual transmissions and I use it in our Rancher too. I got the info off web sites that you posted links to a long time ago. It was good information. Thanks