Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hill climbing (not hillshooting)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill climbing (not hillshooting)

I tryed climbing a steep hill once on a 01 Rubicon. Got about half way up when I couldn't make it. My brakes weren't to good either.
Well where we hillclimb you dont really need brakes...lol...yes hillclimbing is most definitely the funnest thing to do on a quad or dirtbike...jmo....but i am selling my quad for a bike so i will be a able to try something new...i hope it is just as fun for me as it was on a quad...

Old 04-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Guys, I plan on buying a 400EX this summer. Not on huge hills like you guys have been mentioning, but say a creek bank, does it not work to lean forward to keep your weight up front? I'm used to riding a Rubicon and this is the unviersal steep climb method for a 4x4. How is it supposed to be done on a sport bike without flipping it over?

Old 04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RedGoblin
Guys, I plan on buying a 400EX this summer. Not on huge hills like you guys have been mentioning, but say a creek bank, does it not work to lean forward to keep your weight up front? I'm used to riding a Rubicon and this is the unviersal steep climb method for a 4x4. How is it supposed to be done on a sport bike without flipping it over?
ALWAYS lean forward!
Sometimes I have had to get clear over my handlebars!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] (see pics) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, and momentum, momentum, momentum!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Now I'm confused........On another topic, a guy told me to never lean forward and keep my @$$ on the seat. Are you both right or what?

Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he told u to keep ur but on the seat because the weight will help with traction

Old 04-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

So begin to lean forward AS I'm going up the hill or what?

Old 04-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just bought a quad. But i am looking to go hill climbing. Did alot of clibing with my sled this winter. any one else climb with a sled in the winter time?

Old 04-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I love hill climbing!! There are some hills where I live that are virtually "unclimbable" by anything on 2 or 4 wheels...REALLY! Most of the hills I climb are either "make it" or "kiss your butt goodbye". Coming back down the face we try to go slow and sit waaaay back on the quad and lock the brakes. You literally CAN NOT stop on some of these hills they are so steep. If you really like the hairy climbs you need to check out Cinders. That is about as serious as it gets. Sort of like what Wiamea Bay is to big wave surfing.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

red goblin dont worry too much about your body position...your instinct will place you just about where you need to be and you will get much better in time...

Old 04-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just excited about getting this 400EX and I'm over-examining every aspect of riding one. I'll try to keep my newbie questions about them to a minimum........

Quick Reply: Hill climbing (not hillshooting)