Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Anyone advanced timing on 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the key from curtis sparks and you take off the left side of the engine, rite? Has anyone did this please respond and talk me threw this. Does it make a big difference in performance also?

Old 10-04-2000, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have discussed this before so i will paste below..

1st DO NOT START THIS PROJECT UNTIL YOU HAVE OBTAINED NEW SEALS FOR THE FLYWHEEL COVER AND IGNITION COVER. Most places need to order it since no one has pulled off the flywheel.. $12

2nd The install... Remove all the bolts around the flywheel cover and ignition cover, you may need a breaker bar (I say ignition cover because when you put the thing back togther you need to get the gear lined up) and the 1 nut on the flywheel cover.

3rd Now tap the ignition cover on the top and one side with a rubber mallet GENTLY but FIRMLY until it pops and remove ignition cover and the gear and 2 spacers.. Set aside in clean area.. Tap flywheel cover on the top and left side with the rubber mallet GENTLY but FIRMLY until you hear it make a hollow sound and the seal breaks. Remove flywheel cover gently in one straight pull out.. Remember the ignition cover will also pull off with the flywheel cover.. (The left side will feel like it is grabing but that is from the magnet on the flywheel)

4th Take an 1 1/2" cresent wrench and close it on the notch behind the flywheel bolt. Take either an impact wrench or a long enough breaker bar (1 1/2' to 2' long) and use a 17mm socket to remove the flywheel bolt NORMAL THREAD so to the left. (I used my nerf bars to hold the cresent wrench down and used my 2 foot long torque wrench to pull it off. It came off easy)

5th Take the fly wheel puller that Curtis Sparks Racing sent with the ignition key (That big bolt they sent along) and screw it into the same spot that the fly wheel bolt was until it stops. Take a ball bine hammer and screw the screw in tighter and tap the head of the bolt.. keep tightening and tapping tap it hard.. The fly wheel will pop off.

6th Remove old key and install new ignition key per sparks racing instructions.

7th Take razor blade and remove excess seal from casing taking care not to get any of the paper in the bottom end.. Intall new gasket and install fly wheel cover.,. all done

Old 10-04-2000, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

If I understand correctly, the XR250 CDI box will not only increase the rpm by 1200 but will also advance the timing 6 degrees.