Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman 500 owners - I need some info please

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman 500 owners - I need some info please

I just sold my Praiire today and want to get a Foreman 500, is it all that it is cracked up to be. I am looking to do several things:
Tail ride 75%
Plow snow 5%
Work - 20% - tow logs, haul wood, cut trails, pull a brushhog, etc
I ride in some mud but am not a "mudder" by any means, the majority of my time is spent on the Hatfield/McCoy trails (rocks, to mud and can avoid most mud) Is the Foreman the "right" quad for me??? I am looking at the "S" model because I am MOST interested in durability and with the foot shift there is a lot less that can go wrong (plus there are a LOT of posts about the ESP hand shifter not always working too well)

I want to change the tires to something STRONG (aka 6ply maybe) and something that is a good overall tire, not a true mudder. Any thoughts?

Is paying $6000 OTD (5% tax, $10 title fee, everything seem fair - this is the local dealer that is 7 miles away)

Where can I order a winch mount at that is nice but cheap (or at least reasonable)

Now the last question - what color??? I have a Camo Rhino so I really wont use it to hunt, Had a Red Prairie so I am thinking Yellow - it is just different.... plus no one can say they "didn't see you"...

Old 05-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

hi there ..well my brother just bought the new foreman 500es.....and first things first, he has had a problem with the es not shifting back down when in 5th gear..so i would stick with the s model...but other than that its pretty much like ever other honda tough as nails.for trail riding it soaks up the bumps pretty well and handles great what times ive drove it,but if you had praire 650 . the praire is a better trail riding bike than the 500 honda...thats just my opinion..as i own a 650..and have drove both..as for plowing snow, the honda will take any snow you can throw at it,it has it lots of power,for a 500cc bike much more than the rubicon..as for work i use to own a 450 and it could do anything that my 650 can do...so id say the 500 is a much improved bike over the 450 you would have no problem with that.as for tires well either mud lites or dirt devils would be a good choice there both a good all around tire as i have dirt devils,as for color go with yellow my bros is yellow and its a very striking bike,a few things i like about the 500 it tells you when it needs a oil change,every 1200miles or so,has lots of storage space up front and back...as for winch mounts we was told no company has produced any yet but im sure by now, there out there .......if wanna know more just ask, my bro had his for about 3 months now no probs just the es mode........lata

Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Had some problems with the Prairie and have lost confidence in it so now I am back to Hondas. Also for some reason I never really like the 650 Praiire, hated the auto (the belt was always making noise and it was being adjusted) and not a big fan of Liq. cooling. How is the 500 on fuel? Is it a "ride all day and forget about it", or ALWAYS bring extra gas... Is the ride as stiff or has it smoothed out some. I know the 450 is a bit of a rough ride but it does seems bulletproof...
Thanks

Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

i hear ya on the prairie im a true honda fan and always was always will be,got the 650 cause no one around my area had one,think in long term prolly be a big mistake far as realilbilty,ive had belt trouble now bad fuel milage dunno whats up with that...as for fuel milage on the 500 its got bigger tank than the older models..its a ride all day forget about it...as my bro never brings xrta gas with. him.when most of us have to...its no where as bad as the 450,it rides much smoother,you wont feel beat up after a long day ride when u get off...unlike the 450...lol

Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2005 forman 500 4X4 and one thing I can tell you is it can haul some load. This is my first ATV so have
little to offer in the way of comparison. I'm happy with the machine and hope it lasts a long time as people say
about Hondas.
I paid just a little over 6K OTD.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

QUOTED: "the honda will take any snow you can throw at it,it has it lots of power,for a 500cc bike much more than the rubicon.."

"stillahondafan", how can you say that the Foreman 500 has "much " more power than the Rubicon when the Foreman has 475cc's and the Rubicon has 499cc's. Don't get me wrong, I love them both and they are both workhorses but you can't tell me that the Foreman has more power than the Rubicon.

"Code54", I think that you would be very happy with the Foreman 500. For what you intend to use it for, it should be a good fit.

As far as tires go, you should look at a radial tire if you want something strong. There are several to choose from and I can't really help you since I am a mudder and have not tried any of the less aggressive tires on the market. Hopefully someone will reply with some insight on the tires.

Good Luck!

Cirviver

Old 05-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

Cirviver ,your correct the rubicon has more cc's, but the new foreman is not just a update to the old 450 engine, yes it may have 475cc, buts its all new engine,its not how many cc's it has, its how it gets the power to the ground the best,the new foreman does it alot better,in which case is a better bike for hauling, just my opinion,and what ive seen from both bikes just check this link https://atvconnection.com/atvconnect...gs-Version.cfm it stats Rubicon? It is the luxury 500. It has better suspension, is heavier and is positioned more for cruising than pure work...its a good read on both bikes..

Old 05-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

Code54
I just ordered the Maxxis Bighorn radials. They're supposed to provide a comfortable ride and excel
at every terrain except mud. I got a good deal at atvoutfitters.com.

BTW mine's yellow and I can't wait to get out of this office and git home and rip it up.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

I should add I got the ramsey 2500 winch and 4 of those Maxxis bighorns mounted on C-type aluminum
rims delivered for $905 by atvoutfitters.com

Old 05-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Did ATVoutfitters have a mount for the winch for your 500? I was looking for one and have not found any yet.
THANK you to everyone for all the information

Quick Reply: Foreman 500 owners - I need some info please