Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

650 rincon jug on bottom part of rubicon engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 rincon jug on bottom part of rubicon engine

What surprises me is no one has thought about this. The HondAmatic transmission is programmed and Designed specifically for the Rubicon 499cc engine, its power-band, its torque curve etc. You go hooking up a 650cc Rincon engine (or ANY performance mods at all in this case) the transmission will be horribly mismatched to the new engine/modified one. D1 max horsepower, not Max horsepower for any engine you drop in, or any stock engine that is highly modified, it is NOT mapped out for that, same goes for D2. The Rubi engine is a low rpm motor, tons of grunt and even respectable horsepower in ITS upper range. The engine maxes out at i think 4800 rpm, but makes peak horse power around 3,800-4,000 I believe, its midrange is between 2,000 and 3,550. The transmission does not, nor will acknowledge the fact you have done mods to the stock motor, or dumped in a high power higher revving engine.

Doesn't sound like fun to have a motor that makes max power (I am not sure about the Rincon engine, but for arguments sake just go along) at 5,252 rpms, when the tranny will not let the engine rev higher than 4,500 (or less) in automatic modes.

This is why I disregard all engine mods available for the Rubi, changing the power band is useless: Because it will no longer be matched to the tranny. Unless you plan on using ESP exclusively (which would still be useless because even in ESP, the ratios would be horribly out of sync with what a modded engine, or worse, a different engines power band would be), which is only half the fun, as D2 (torque mode) is very enjoyable to putt around in, most other engine would stall being lugged at such a low rpm with a load that the regular Rubi engine can handle.

Same thing for D1, except you would not reach max power it will be rpm limited.

In the end if it does work, you will have done an AWESOME Mod Job, tho' will have a hellaciously powerful Rubicon that is neutered because the tranny will not match up.

Good luck though.

(P.S) Of course i could be completely wrong if Honda had the foresight to put sensors in the tranny so it can remap itself to mods, and detect where max torque and HP are made after mods are done. (which I doubt) plus even if they did, I doubt they would allow it to be remapped higher than what max detonation rpms would be anyway.