Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Dirty/oily coolant???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty/oily coolant???

My r was overheating the other day so I decided to add coolant, wen I did I found it to be completly empty!! I added coolant and as soon as it reached the top it was dirty or oily??? What can cause this? I flushed the system out and retryed but as soon as I turn it on it literally spits out all the coolant out of the overflow hose...might I have a clog sumwhere?

Old 06-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Posibility of a cracked head, leaking coolant into the combustion chamber, or worse, the crank case
Change your oil imediatly, and check for foaming

Old 06-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Head gasket. When they go it dumps oil in the antifreeze or it burns the antifeeze. Depends on where it blows. It can dump water in the oil too.

Does your exhaust have steam in it? If it does your burning antifeeze.

Is your oil white or milky? If it is you have contamination.

Is your buddy laughing about it? If he is he sabotaged you. Just kidding. lol

Old 06-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Would that cause it to spit out all the coolant tho? wen I turn it on??? Ill check that anyway cuz Im stumped! I removed the water pump cover today and found oil in there, but that seal was good. Ill check the radiator for a clog tomorrow. Also if the head gasket is torn causing the contamination, would that cause it to overheat? One last thing I changed the oil and it was alittle milky...but then again that oil was really old. keep the suggestions coming and ill give an update tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Oh and one more thing, my chain broke the other day while riding. My case saver saved the case but still caused the top mounting point of the case saver to crack alittle. Do you think this would cause internal damage???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

If water can get into the cylinder under say 15psi, compression at say 175psi will definitley have the ability to leave the cylinder. I say pull the head and check the gasket. You might get lucky.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Milky oil is a telltale sign of water contamination

Old 06-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Will it run? If your pressurizing the radiator with the piston it will spit.

I would pull the head first it's not that hard.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Ok I tore it apart today and found the head gasket to be missing a little chunk on one of the port thingys. Now the crack didnt go all the way through but im hoping that was enough to let oil in. It does run and it runs fine, it just wont hold coolant. I didnt have enough time today so Ill inspect the radiator tommorow and hopefully find a clog there. i had an extra head gasket laying around so I put that one. Ok but I have a question, if any of you have ever seen the shape of the water jackets on the 250r motor you know they look like ( ) sumthing like that...the gaskets I have arent all that shape. two of the ports on the gasket dont have that shape, it only has 2 holes in its place? Is that how its supposed to be? Ill give ya'll an update tomorrow. Thanks so far! Oh yea and the one I took out had that same hole pattern. Oh and one last thing, sorry I know I just go on an on but I need to know. The bolt fell off the top motor mount about 2weeks ago and I had been using it like that and havent replaced it so far...will this affect anything? I know it rattled sum bolts and a hose clamp loose but besides that will it have any affect on anything cracking?

Old 06-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

BTW I updated sum pics..mostly of my car but check them out let me know wat you think.

Quick Reply: Dirty/oily coolant???