Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

If anyone knows about lowering a quad please read!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 02:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok heres the deal, i already ride mx tracks and flat tracks....im fixing to race as "season" for points, titles, etc....the questions are:
1. how do you lower the quad...i know its a kit for like 60.00 but does it relocate your shocks?
2. and if so , do you have to worry bout changing shocks again or will the relocating not mess with bottoming out?
3. what are advantages of lowering it, and do you think i should?

I noticed in mags and at tracks, including videos, all the quads seem to be real low to the ground....i figured the have lowerd theirs...i put mx radials and 18 inch tamers on mine and it lowered it a lil but nothing like theirs...should i lower this if im still running mx also?...(im mainly worried if the shocks will be compressed so they will be bottoming or will it just be relocated so its like i have now, just lowered)
i know this post is really crazy and twisty but any help would be very much appreciated....

one more question: if you think i shoiuld lower it for me riding mx and flat track (flat track is made up of flat hard pack and a few jumps and whoops) where should i get the kit from? THANKS

Old 10-16-2000, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

lowering a quad is mainly flattrack. what the lowering kits do is relocats the shocks so the how quad sits 2 or 3 inches off the ground front and back. i would never lower it for mx. its not a big deal to lower it and vise versa. e-mail if you have any questions or wanna get into flattrack i know where alot of track are

Old 10-16-2000, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

DONT LOWER YOUR QUAD FOR MX!!!

I think the quads you are seeing probably have Zero Preload shocks, which allow the ATV to sit low in the corners so it handles better but actually have more travel than standard.
For flattrack, lowering is good so that it sits even lower for the corners. But you sound as though you are running TT, which has some small jumps and for that you dont want it REAL low, or you will bottom all the time and break stuff.
If its one or the other, dont lower it, get ZPS shocks and go from there. If you can switch from lowered to non-lowered, or get 2 bikes, lower is better for flattrack.

Old 10-17-2000, 09:55 AM
Range Rover

Durablue makes a lowering strut for the rear which easily lowers the rear about 3 inches for flat track. It is about a 5 minute job to raise the quad back up again with the strut. I have done this along with TCS shocks and have no problems with flat track or mx anymore.

Old 10-17-2000, 10:36 AM
Range Rover

hey thanks for the info....could you tell me a lil more about this lowering strut..sounds like something i need.......i finally got a chance to see some lowering kits this weekend, and they are deff. not for mx,....the repositioning of shocks would brake those things.....but as for the back end...where does it attach? and does it stay on the quad when riding mx? also, is it ok to have the rear end lowered and not the front?, thanks for the info......
ps. i also love drag racing for fun with friends that have every quad imaginable including those over rated raptors and Ds's....i heard lowering the rear will give you a hellatious hole shot, is that true? thanks for all input.....