Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RECON!! (honda owners read this!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any problems with their recon yet?? I havn't and I am very rough on mine.. It was a well built machine. Better than the Rancher is bigger brother that is CONSTENTLY having problems. I say all us Recon riders got a MAJOR Deal!

Old 10-17-2000, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey...

I posted a question to the reliability of the motor on the recon. See my post for details.

Old 10-17-2000, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

The Recon is no comparison to the Rancher. The Recon sucks. A friend I ride with has 1 and it bounces up and down on aggressive trails and at higher speeds because the frontend it too light. When climbling a hill, asumming it can even get enough traction to get up it at all the front end almost always gets up in the air out of control.But i will say it handles great in tight trails and is surprisingly quick for a 250 4-stroke utility. The Rancher is balanced perfectly, and they have sold 100's of thousands of them, and you read on this sight of maybe 3 or 4 problems and probably due to being underwater or other abuse ? I am happy i went with the rancher , its far better hands down.

Old 10-17-2000, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

My wife loves her Recon! I enjoy driving it, like to do those power slides. The Recon is the best entry level quad out there! That engine suprised me with the power it has for a 250cc machine.

Zero problems with our Recon, or out Rancher. Honda quality, hmmmmmm, its still there.

Old 10-18-2000, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

rancher constantly having problems???? NOT!!!!!

recon better than the rancher???? NOT!!!! they are in different leagues!!!!! you can't fairly compare them!!!!!

recons are nice for their purposes but the ranchers are better in all categories (accept powersiding if you have the 4x4)

Old 10-18-2000, 10:05 AM
Range Rover

Put about 30lbs worth of gear on the front rack and add a winch. The Recon will go up hills like a mountain goat. I was amazed at the difference.
The front end is too light and is flip over happy on hills. But with the added weight the front end stays down.

Old 10-18-2000, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

The Recon is just fine -- period. It does exactly what its supposed to do and most likely does it better than anything else in its class. You can't blame the horse for not being a cow, so the fact that its not a Rancher or a Rubicon just doesn't matter. I actually choose to take it out on some projects because its more manuverable and I can keep my left hand free for tools and such (as opposed to the 450ES).

It does have a lighter feel and is much more bouncy on the trail, but that's what it is. We say the Recon is like a Jeep Wrangler while the 450ES is like a Durango. Sometimes I wish it had a speedometer and a gear indicator but for the money, its just fine.

Old 10-18-2000, 10:56 AM
Range Rover

1st I agree with the others, two different quads. To say either one sucks leads me to believe you have a short between your chair and your keyboard.
I'll probably hang on the my recon from now on. It's an excellent quad. If you push it and fall over all the time then you don't know what your doing. I know it's limits and yes the front is light. If want to ride aggressively I ride my warrior. If I want to go through mud, water major uphill terrain then I ride the Rancher. If me, kids, the wife and other adults want to have fun(including climbing major inclines) hop on the Recon. It'll do it. So suck on Recon!

Old 10-18-2000, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Your statement about the Rancher constantly having problems is wrong. I have not had one problem with mine Rancher, 700 miles. I don't have an ego to satisfy or some hidden agenda. I telling you the way it is. If I was having problems they would be aired out on these forums.

The Recon is best in its class, just as the Rancher won multiple shoot outs to win its class.

Old 10-18-2000, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I like flip over happy.

Quick Reply: RECON!! (honda owners read this!)