Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Buying a Big bore, need advise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Big bore, need advise?

I bought a rubicon last fall and thought it would do me fine but after some trail riding I wished I went a little bigger like the 700's.
I like the Honda's but I heard Rincon was not much to talk about. KQ, I guess, is one hell of a machine. I don't know much about the others nor have I test drove any of that size. Just need some advise on what to expect with each brand? I like a lot of getting up and go if you know what I mean.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I owned a new 2003 Rincon for 2 yrs[1800 miles] and now I own a new KQ..I have allmost 900 miles on the KQ..Except for the low end bog from 0-7mph,I like the KQ alot more than the Rincon.The Rincon is a good trail rider,but thats IT!

The Rincon has front drum style brakes that WILL eventually leak in mud/water..It has no front Diff locker,no adjustable shocks,no EFI,very/very poor downhill engine braking,no low range,and the highest MSRP in its class.The Rincon has not proved to be ANY more reliable than the KQ either.

Ride them both and dont make a decision based on Honda's past record for reliability/dependablilty like I did,you'll only short change yourself with that thinking.Than after you ride them both extensively you can make a decision based on your personal preferance.

Goog luck and let us know which one you like best.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a quick overview of the differentr brand's biggest big bore quad.

Honda Rincon is at the bottom of the Big Bore class(650cc+), both in inovation and power, but it does have Honda reliability, if I'm not mistaking the Rincon has a $7899 MSRP.

Suzuki King Quad 700 EFI is an excellent quad, it has EFI, good handling, and great power, 695cc single cylinder engine, plenty of get up and go, $7299 MSRP.

Kawasaki BF 750 is a good quad, bad suspension and handling,no EFI, but incredible power,some poor quality parts(tierods etc..),would be better with suspension upgrade and EFI, 749cc V-twin, $7599
MSRP.

Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI very good machine, very heavy, very comfortable,odd Awd system, very good power but would be better if it was lighter, some owners lately have complained of bad customer service form Polaris, 760cc twin, $8599 MSRP

Bombardier Outlander 800, great quad, most powerful engine in it's class with 800cc twin engine, great suspension and handling, it is a first year machine which will have it's bugs, standard version MSRP of $8599,

Yamaha Grizzly 660, proven machine, great quad, great suspension and power, 660cc single ? MSRP

This info is based on what I've heard on these forums when I went through purchasing a big bore 2 months ago.
If you ask me the KQ has the best value.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my Efi back in April and I couldnt be happier. The machine is a little on the heavier side but its still got enough torque to still slide the rear end around a little. I have put a little under 200 miles on it. Its actually in the shop now though,

(the exhaust came loose and was rubbing on something and it started to make a squeaking noise, It also had a small coolant leak, fixed by replacing a faulty clamp)

even though there was a few things it is definitely the best machine I ever ridden.

reguardless of what machine you decide on, try to get EFI. Effortless starting, no choke, just cant be beat in my opinion.

FYI I paid $8050 OTD with no winch. The dealer said it would cost an extra 300 for it. I bought a 2500lb milemarker and the mount came to less than 200 delivered. So in my opinion it was worth the wait.

Goodluck

Old 08-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

I went trail riding today and put on 125 miles on my Rubicon…..My *** feels it now.
I also drove one of my friends sport Kawasaki 700 that he just bought. I’ll tell you what, I’ll never buy a sports machine, it’s just to light in the front end and doesn’t handle the bumps well. Those machines are not for me!....

Now back to my machine what do you think I can get on a trade’n for my Rubicon? It has about 600 miles and only 38 hrs. Basically is it worth trading in on a new 700?? I love my Rub but wish it went faster and had more options.
Like I said, I have not test drove anything but my first choice would be Suz. KQ, than the Kaw. Prairie and the Polaris but I’m sure things will change after I do some test driving!

Any more suggestions would be awesome. The more I hear form you guys helps me out a lot.
Thanks again everybody

Old 08-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Range Rover

If you're primarily looking at a fast trail bike that can do some light mudding and working on the side, the Rincon would be a fantastic choice.

The fun factor of the Rincon is very high, especially compared to a Rubicon. The Rincon does not have anywhere near the power of the KQ (although my stock Rincon blows away any stock KQ on takeoff, the KQ does not wheelie) but it can be driven faster in the twisty trails due to the suspension and handling. If you want more of a mudder and worker, the KQ is a much better choice. Some people have complained about the steering and handling of the KQ however.

Why not try them all out and then decide?

Old 08-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

The King Quad doesn't necessarily have bad steering, it has light steering, which can be great for slow trail riding because not much effort is required to turn the front wheels, but when you put on big tires it becomes a bit unstabble at a high speed, but I have stock tires on my KQ and I have no complaints about the steering no matter what the speed. As for the handling it's great at lower speeds but taking a turn at higher speeds there is some body roll but that's about it, with it's loww center of gravity it doesn't feel tipy, all 4 wheels usually stay planted firmly to the ground. But just remember none of the quads handle very good in sharp high speed turns, they simply aren't made for that.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep,
I agree with ATV tech..Try them all and then decide..

I dont know about HIS Rincon,but MY Rincon lost a race against my KQ very badly from 0-50 mph,and the KQ was brand new with no miles on it when I raced my son.

I would'nt even pick a Rincon over a KQ for the fast trails.Its the ONLY thing it 'might' be better than the KQ at,and thats just about it..I just cannot justify the extra cost of the Rincon and all the lack of features it lacks just because its a great trail rider..Heck,im not really convinced that the Rincon is any better than the KQ on the faster trails,but im an old fart[48] and dont drive nearly as hard as I used too.

Ride all of them,and let us know which one you liked best and why.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Range Rover

Bill, go back and reread my post. I never said anything about the Rincon beating the KQ in a drag race. I said the Rincon had much better takeoff than the KQ, which it does. On takeoff, the KQ is very slow and will NOT wheelie on its own. I readily admit to the fact that the KQ has a lot more power than the Rincon, just not on takeoff. Once the speed gets over 10 mph, it's bye-bye Rincon.

Also, about the Rincon not being a better trail bike, you proved my point by saying you don't drive as fast as you used to. Obviously, the slower you go, the less of a difference you will see between the Rincon and KQ. Since you drive so slow, how can you possibly give an informed opinion about the handling and suspension of both quads at high speeds? You can't. The Rincon is a much better fast trail rider. At slow speeds, you probably won't tell much of a difference.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

The KQ will get beat of the line by almost any other big bore....but then it flies by them at about 7-10mph and never lets up...plus there is suppose to be a timing mod for the KQ the eliminate the slow take off...then it will be neck to neck with the BF 750 all the way..and blow all the other V-twins away (except for the Outty 800).

Quick Reply: Buying a Big bore, need advise?