Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

SF Bay Area repair for 250R

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SF Bay Area repair for 250R

Sadly, my 250R, which I bought new in '88, blew its tranny last weekend at the Holister quad track while we were turning some hot laps with flock of Yamaha 650s (nice guys). Eighteen years is pretty good for a transmission that's been used like mine!

Do you know of good shop, in the SF Bay area (or Nor Cal), that has experience with the 250R? I don't plan to do much in the way of major mods, just get the tranny back in shape and maybe a handful of other "refresher" changes to make her solid again.

Suggestions much appreciated!

Old 08-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

There are many reputable 250R shops in the area. ESR is one that comes to mind, but they can be expensive. They wanted over $700 to rebuild the bottom end of my 86 with a new long rod crank and case machining. Look around on Planet Sand, trx250r.org or r-central.net. By shopping around with smaller shops and fellow drag racers, I got mine done for less than 300 including parts (crank, rod, bearings, seals, everything)...

Old 08-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

well if its just the tranny it shouldnt be too difficult for any mechanic to get done, try mach 1 motorsports, theyre in vallejo sumwhere. i dunno if they have much experience on 250rs but theyve probably redone some trannies. the hardest part will probably be getting new parts.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

oh by the way, how was hollister. when i ride i mostly go there or carnigee or prarie city. carnigees track sux, hollisters a lot better in my opinion. and prarie cities ok. its kinda small, not many trails, its good if you just wanna spend a couple hours ridin, and there track was good but know its shot to ****.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: thorrider250
oh by the way, how was hollister. when i ride i mostly go there or carnigee or prarie city. carnigees track sux, hollisters a lot better in my opinion. and prarie cities ok. its kinda small, not many trails, its good if you just wanna spend a couple hours ridin, and there track was good but know its shot to ****.
Yeah man i live like 10 mins from carnegie and go there to take my truck out there like during the winter and it's mostly for dirtbikes but hollister has to be the best it's awsome there and parie city is ok is to small like you said and for some that learning to ride and the track is small so you cant pass but it's fun .And good luck did you try eastbay motorsports.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hollister was pretty good for mid summer. I've ridden that track for many years and I really like what they've done to it over the past few. The quad track is nice. They've raised the jumps to a level where they can be exciting if you're on it. The track is not so much an mx track - more high speed flat track for drifting with a few jumps thrown in for fun. For the SF Bay area, it is the best quad track hands down.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Nicname
There are many reputable 250R shops in the area. ESR is one that comes to mind, but they can be expensive. They wanted over $700 to rebuild the bottom end of my 86 with a new long rod crank and case machining. Look around on Planet Sand, trx250r.org or r-central.net. By shopping around with smaller shops and fellow drag racers, I got mine done for less than 300 including parts (crank, rod, bearings, seals, everything)...
Nicname, thanks for the suggestions on the links. I found a lot of possible shops, but none near the SF Bay area (except MidCal Racing in Modesto). They're all in SoCal or AZ!

Anyone had any experience with MidCal in Modetsto?

Or, any other suggestions for motor/tranny work in SF Bay area?

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-2005, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

well if its just the tranny it shouldnt be too difficult for any mechanic to get done, try mach 1 motorsports, theyre in vallejo sumwhere. i dunno if they have much experience on 250rs but theyve probably redone some trannies. the hardest part will probably be getting new parts.
Thorrider250, thanks for suggesting Mach 1 - I may give them a call. I've called several of the local dealers and they all refuse to work on older bikes. Definitely not an 18 yr. old 250R! I think I need to find an independent shop.