Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Where is the angle sensor located?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the angle sensor located?

Well guys, it seems like I'm just starting to delve into problems with this Rancher ES.
Three weeks ago I came on here about a non-shifting ES, and found the problem to be the speed sensor. Replaced that, and everything was fine, until today.
The bike quit shifting on me again. It's spitting out a "3" for the problem code this time, which is supposed to be the angle sensor.

What I need to know is where exactly do I find the angle sensor?
And I got the bike secondhand, with no owners manual. How do you shift the ES models manualy? The bikes stuck in 3rd gear in a field and won't shift back to neutral to start. I killed it because the last time it did this, when I would cut the key on and off, it would shift again for a little while.
And the pull start doesn't work when the bikes in gear, apparently.

This is starting to be a royal pain in the behind. I use the bike to work my property, and I'm really in a jam when it's down.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sayre, the angle sensor is located at the front of the engine, very near the bottom. It is protected by a U-shaped rectangular metal cover and has a wire running to it. Two bolts for the cover and two for the sensor itself. If I remember correctly, one of the two pairs was an allen wrench set.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:27 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

try pulling the battery cables off for a minute as that may clear the code. To shift manually use the emengency shifter in the took kit, it will go where a normal shift lever goes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

Also, you can use a jumper wire to put negative (-) battery voltage to the green wire with red stripe of the starting motor solenoid, its a round relay with 2 small wires and two large wires. (the large wires are the in and out posative wires to the starter).

Anyway, by applying negative voltage to the starter relay, it will give you a neutral light and let you start up and shift the bike. With the ES it will throw a code, but since you are already having a problem it wont make it worse!!! At least you can get the bike outa the field.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ya, its a bummer when the es kills in gear. I havent figured out the reason yet, but the motor wont get spark, unless its in nuetral,or using the jumper switch, to fake it out. Which means no bump starting, or using the rope in gear.
If youre gonna keep it, and you want to do your own wrenching, get the clymer service book for that quad.It has step by step procedures for troubleshootin those kinds of issues.