Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Your K&N is passing dirt!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your K&N is passing dirt!

This is a study that needs to get lots of exposure! It's not like I am on an anti-K&N campaign for some personal reason. One of my buddies grandfather cofounded the company (the K in K&N). The vice president is a guy I went to high school with, and I off-road with his sister. The manufacturing plant is a couple of miles from where I live, and it creates a lot of local employment!

But, I run them on my street vehicles ONLY, and then ONLY with K&N's own Air Force foam wrap. <a href="http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm">

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm</A>

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/464045.cfm

Old 08-22-2005, 10:20 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

According to their graphs, Uni (7.9 grms) passed more dirt than K&N (7.0 grms) during the test. If you're not anti-K&N, why didn't mention that?

Old 08-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really surprising about the K and N results....what really surprises me is the UNI results. A properly oiled foam uni filter should do better than that. Thanks for the link.
Gary

Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Well, for one thing that's not the same UNI filter on that Duromax that I run on my quad! Got to wonder if they even remembered to oil the thing, and what oil did they use, and how good a job did they do oiling it??? By the way, UNI manufacturs a lot of OEM foam filters, including Honda's.

Hey folks, it's your motors. You decide what make most sense to you!

Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

I know for a fact that a quad k@n passes a ton more dirt than a UNI. I think they must have used a cheap single layer filter from uni and never oiled it.

I'm sticking with UNI I have my own test tell its stopping the dirt and flowing air good. Spray inside the carb with the filter oil. Run it for 10 hours or so with both filters. The uni will be clean. The K@n will have dust andd crud in the carb.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

The board I originally lifted that article from had a lot of people bashing the guy who posted it. I ran across a similar debate regarding "breaking in" a motor.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

this is what i've been telling people about when it comes to air filters on cars.. OEM, OEM, OEM!!! they dont flow the best, but they are designed to keep dirt out of the engine. that's what a filter is for. It's probably true for quads too.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I just saw that test posted on an rv site. Thing about the test, it uses the accepted standard for testing filters. Unless the actual tester (which is not the guy who wrote all this up) screwed things up, it's legit.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still run the factory Honda filter. In 5700 the throttle bore of the carburetor is still spotless, no dirt.

I do service the filter every time I change the oil, about every 500 miles.

I know it isn't a "performace filter", but I am more interested in longevity.

I have a K&N on two vehicles, wished I would have learned on the first one. I would never use one on my ATV.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I run K&N filters on everything I own.
I do run the Outerwears also, never the filter alone.

I have never had a dirt ingress issue whatsoever, although I make sure they are properly oiled, and the Outerwear is on tight.
These filters flow way better than OEM/oiled foam.

Granted, I ride mostly Sand dunes where I have had sand ingress using oiled foam, but never an issue with the K&N.
If I were to be riding in a powdery/dusty situations, I would consider the switch back to Oiled foam.

To each his own.
It's not a 'one size fits all' situation IMHO

But don't run right out there and try and scare people by telling me my K&N is passing dirt! Mines not! Yours might be...

Looks more of an issue of personal maintenance habits, intended application/use, etc, etc...

My $.02

Quick Reply: Your K&N is passing dirt!