Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2 part question: Best ATV for pulling...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 part question: Best ATV for pulling...

yeah the 450 engine is a push rod engine and has a decent amount of low end power. paired with that low first gear that all the manual shift honda's have, you could probably up-root an oak tree.

as far as putting 26's on, you'll probably be fine. what size did it have from the factory? if they were 25's, i wouldnt worry about it. My buddy has a 450 and hes got tires that rub on the fenders, and he can shoot 4 roosters yet when stuck in the mud, engine is still bone stock.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Range Rover

4wheelerfred: Have you ever tried to play tug-of-war with a Foreman? Rincon's aren't built for towing. I used to have a King quad like yours, and even in super-low, difflock, 1st gear it definately would not pull what my 01 Foreman 450 would. I tried to pull several things around the farm that the KQ would not pull (just spin all 4 tires)but the Foreman would, and with relative ease. The torque of those 450's combined with their bull low 1st gear has got to be just about the best combo out there for pulling, and even those old KQ's as good as they were, will not outpull a Foreman 450. Just my opinion!

Old 08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

That's for all of the input. I was considering (only momentarily) trading my '04 Foreman in for an '05 Rincon, but I think I'll hang on to the Foreman for a while.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

450 Foreman best for pull???? That is odd. If we hook up to the same trailer, we both would probably be able to pull it, but I will pull it a lot faster. I am sure the new BRP 800 could do it even faster.

Another interesting fact, the only people who complain about the "rubber band" quads are those that don't have autos.

Nothing against Hondas, they make great ATV's. But to say a 450 Foreman is the best for pulling and hauling is just odd IMO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

Prairie!!

Old 08-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: SHOTGUN
Prairie!!
Shotgun, nice picts, that is a heck of a pulling system you got there! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2005, 09:13 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Catterman
450 Foreman best for pull???? That is odd. If we hook up to the same trailer, we both would probably be able to pull it, but I will pull it a lot faster. I am sure the new BRP 800 could do it even faster.

Another interesting fact, the only people who complain about the "rubber band" quads are those that don't have autos.

Nothing against Hondas, they make great ATV's. But to say a 450 Foreman is the best for pulling and hauling is just odd IMO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Catterman what are you talking about? It's not a race too see how fast we can pull something [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Think about real world practicality not pulling a sled down a dirt track, but the ability to move an extremely heavy object (dead weight) like say a moose. A 450 with it's set up will out pull even larger quads with belt transmissions, I've seen it. I saw a 03 Prairie 650 that would not budge a moose but the 450 ES could pull it. The geared transmission seems to have a better ability to start that load moving from a stand still. Yah once its moving the belt tranny will wind it up faster, but I've never seen a guy in the bush with a stop watch timing us pull out a moose. The 450 may not be the very best considering all of the bigger quads but pound for pound I'd say it probably is. You should hook up back to back with one, but I'd worry about the 450's SRA tearing your IRS apart [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hook up to that same trailer 4 days a week for 6 months pulling it fast like you said, then do the same with the forman. Come back and tell us what's left of your bike when your done. The forman will pull hard and consistant which is what many work bikes have to do. Most any bike can pull a heavy load hard evey now and then.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

thanks Catterman....

Old 08-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: action450s
Hook up to that same trailer 4 days a week for 6 months pulling it fast like you said, then do the same with the forman. Come back and tell us what's left of your bike when your done. The forman will pull hard and consistant which is what many work bikes have to do. Most any bike can pull a heavy load hard evey now and then.
Exactly!

Quick Reply: 2 part question: Best ATV for pulling...