Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Electric shifter problem

Old 09-03-2005, 10:36 PM
JOB
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric shifter problem

I have a 2001 Recon ES 250 and I am having problems with the electric shift. Sometimes works fine.
Most times the 1st gear light blinks and it will not shift. Any help??

Old 09-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Start by trying the easy stuff first. Do the clutch adjustment and see if it improves.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Trailblazer

On my 04 Recon, I had to clean the gear position connection. Just unsnap it,spray it with wd-40 and grease the connection with dialectic grease. this fixed the problem for me.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of posts on problems with ES shifting! This is a system that doesn't show Honda's usual level of engineering refinement.

Any prospective buyers out there, take a lesson and just shift with your foot!

Old 09-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: reconranger
Lots of posts on problems with ES shifting! This is a system that doesn't show Honda's usual level of engineering refinement.

Any prospective buyers out there, take a lesson and just shift with your foot!
Sigh... Give it a rest.

People love the ES system. Honda sells more ES bike than manual shift bikes. Yes, there are more problems with ES than with a manual shift, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Just let it go already...

Old 09-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, can't LIE to all those prospective buyers out there! If somebody knows the facts and still wants to risk going with the ES, well thats great. But so many buyers have absolutely no idea what ES is, much less what they might be getting into.

Maybe the average recreational rider, who isn't going to get more than half a mile from civilization, can take the risk of a failure out on the trail. But for those of us who are frequently 100 miles from any kind of assistance, we can't risk ANY type of failure.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Range Rover

Sorry, can't LIE to all those prospective buyers out there! If somebody knows the facts and still wants to risk going with the ES, well thats great. But so many buyers have absolutely no idea what ES is, much less what they might be getting into.

Maybe the average recreational rider, who isn't going to get more than half a mile from civilization, can take the risk of a failure out on the trail. But for those of us who are frequently 100 miles from any kind of assistance, we can't risk ANY type of failure.

Please explain...

Old 09-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

Well guys this problem has been beat to death many many time's and I have posted many times regarding this problem. I have two Honda recon es models and even though I work for Honda I still have a few problems with the ES. Now Please listen !!!!! the frist thing to check is the fuse under the seat, if the fuse is ok the at the frond of the unit by the steering post is the ECU unit. Disconnect the ECU and clean the connections both mail and female with a good electronic cleaner and let it dry, then use a good dialelectric grease to keep the connection from getting dirty again,that should solve any problem with the ES shifting on any of the Honda ES quads. I drive all the atvs that we have and I still like the ES quads the best (( just my opinion )) and not to start a fight with the standard shift people.
Please do NOT adjust the clutch unless it is slipping cause it has nothing to do with the ES shifting pattern of the unit

John

Old 09-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

sorry i trust my es and go over 150 miles in a weekendd, you need to stop tearing into the es so much. it works well just sometimes has small stupid isses, and if it fails u still get home so i don't really have to worry anyway

Old 09-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Range Rover

Again I ask, please explain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric shifter problem