Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Choosing rims for 400ex, need input

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing rims for 400ex, need input

im picking out some mud-type tires for my 400ex as i mentioned in another post.

im looking now at which rims to choose. it looks like ITP and douglas are the two choices. money is a concern right now, and i saw the steel ITP rims are very cheap. is there a downside to them other then the obvious weight over a .190 alum. rim?

i trail ride so that doesnt concern me too much if its the only downside. otherwards, what do you guys recommend? thanks

Old 09-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

i did a search, never noticed it before since i dont normally see this format.

i didnt really see anything directly related to steel rim advantage/disadvantages. i did see that the stock rims seem to be the best bet for all around durability/weight, ect.

with that said, i might just remove the stock tires from the rims and have the new ones mounted. whatever tire i use will be on the bike all throughout winter. im mainly looking for a good all around tire, with good mudding capability.

ive done a few searches now and seen mud-lites recommended, as well as some maxxis razr's. what would you guys go with? i want to KEEP a 20" tire in the rear. i like the look of a 20" tire better then a 22. some of the choices i only see in 22's.

main emphasis will be on a good mudding ability, and decent all around trail riding ability.

thanks again, sorry about turning directions here. just getting into the atv aftermarket world. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Steel is stronger than aluminum. Aluminum is lighter than steel. However if you pay the extra for the .190 they are pretty stout. I trail ride all the time and have hit many rocks. My ITP wheels have held up extremely well. Another plus to getting aluminum is they just look better.

As far as tires go, I like the razors. Whatever tire you get, go with the 6ply.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a wheel, weight is where it will do the most harm! A pound of weight on a wheel, isn't the same thing as a pound on the frame. Overcoming extra weight to get that wheel turning, requires a lot of extra power. Keep your wheels as light as possible!

I would suggest something like ITP T-9 rims, but the stock rims are aluminum, fairly light, and pretty strong......might just want to stick with those.

Maybe try 22" Holeshot XC's in front, and 20" Mudlites in back??? The tires do a pretty good job of protecting the rim, except in extreme situations.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah i wasnt really planning to go with the steel by choice, as i mentioned money is an issue right now. as always lol.

i think my best option is to just purchase tires at this point. i didnt plan to keep the stockers on the bike at all, so dismounting them and usng the rim's is no big deal and it saves me money for the time being. im looking at the mud-lites and the razr's right now as my top 2.

thanks guys, you probably get tired of answering these posts.