Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I Need some help on a honda 300 trx

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 04:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need some help on a honda 300 trx

Ok on my 1992 honda 300trx i striped the kick start out so that dont work anymore, i just got the axle that i broke fixed and this gose wrong... i can turn the engine over but it dont fire... i cut the muffler off a wile back and it ran fine didn't back fire or anything then one day it started back fireing and not wanting to start could me cutting the muffler off mess somthing up in it? i am trying to take the head off right now because my dad thinks that it has an valve stuck open or one of my valve springs is broke.. because when u turn the engine over, and put your hand over the air cleaner, with the air filter off and every thing it should choke it correct? but it pushes air out of that hole and i was wonderin what the problem was... my dad told me not to take the head off cuz he thinks it has an over head cam but i dont think it dose i was looking at the valves ( it has a plate you can take off to ajust the valves) and i tought i saw a push rod, it is killing me knowing winter is comming on and i am not gonna be able to play in the snow [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] i cant think of anything to do to it except take the head off look at it and try and find the problem, if i could put the muffler back on and fix it i would but i think it has a bigger problem, cuz i dont think that it wouldn't start cuz it dont have any back presser correct? i need help please... Clayton

Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Range Rover

It sounds to me Clayton that you are way over your head, and what you intend to
do the machine may never run. Earn some money and take the machine to a
Honda dealership and get it fixed. If you don't you may possibly ruin your Honda.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Range Rover

Cutting your exhaust off will cause the machine to run lean if you don't re-jet the carb. You may have burnt a valve if it was too lean and you ran it for a long period of time. Take the spark plug out and see if it is white. If it is, you have been running to lean. If that is the case, I would take it to a dealership and have them go through it.

As far as the kick starter goes... Being that it is a 1992 model, I would take it to a welding shop and have them weld the kick starter on since the shaft is stripped already.

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have alllready took the spark plug out and it was not white... and it is inside the engine where the kick starter is striped out so i am just gonna for get about that and put the batterie back in, i wont have to work as hard this winter trying to get it started in the cold if i get it fixed.....

Old 09-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

the engine acts like it has no compression by the way... and i am workin on it now and i dotn know what it is called, the silver thing back infront of the airfilter box, i would say trottel body but i dont think 4wheelers have it but it is in that shape.... and it has a cylinder and when u push that up u can see the flap that opens when u hit the trottle when u push the Cylinder up it is kinda ruff feeling is that sopost to be like that???

Old 09-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

dont mess with it anymore!! send it somewhere buddy

Old 09-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Range Rover

that would be the carb

Old 09-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

the only problem with sending it somewhere is i dont know how much it will cost and i dont have a way to get it there cuz my parents wont help me with it, my dad said he would work on it this winter but i know he is just saying that cuz he has said that b4.... i just took the air filter box cleaning tube off and it was all nasty so i cleaned it.....