Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

05 Foreman S

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Foreman S

Hello, im new to all this. havent had any offroad vehicle since i was atleast 6. im now 20 and me and my dad went and got our new 05 Foreman S 4x4 for the land he just bought . i was wondering if there was any things to be done to enhance trail riding like lift kit or stiffer rear shock/spring setup. i will be seeing muddy hills to climb on my trails or deep dips to climb out of. What about power? i noticed this 475cc put out alot of lowend which is great , but do i need more? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

thanks in advanced

Old 09-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman S

Great machine and with proper maintenance should provide years of trouble free service. Take the time to read the owners manual and review the mainteneace stuff in it.

I dont think you'll need stiffer rear springs, they're pretty stiff stock. Lift kits for hondas are usually nothing more then longer shocks or spacers to use wiht the stock shocks. Problem is that they make the CV joint angles in the front axles operate at a sharp angle and may wear prematurely, especially if you get bigger tires.

The best mod you can make is to upgrade the tires, you'll quickly tire of the crappy stock tires and want something more. ITP 589's, Mudlites are good allround tires, mudzillas, mud bug and so on are great if your heavy into the mud. Most of these tires are 6 ply whick give you better handling for speedy turns, and have better puncture resistance.

Another nice addition is a Warn winch, saves alot of hassle if you get stuck and by if I mean when.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 Foreman S

yeah i dont want to wear the CV's early. i was definately looking at tires after i noticed these stock ones suck pretty bad. i can hear them squishing even under my light 160lb load with max psi in them. i guess after i get some cash the tires and a winch will be a must for me since im obsessed with mud and hills!

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman S

No problem, check out my gallery for mods I've done over the last 7 years. I rode stock for a while (bought the winch, bumpers and foot guards new with the bike), then a year or so later upgraded the tires and eventually everything else on the list. Take it in steps and enjoy the ride. Nice to get a feel for the bike, then take notice the difference mods like tires make.

A winch is just a good back up plan for tangly solo runs.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman S

Glad to hear you got a new quad! Try and see what a new filters will do! Also get BLACK rims they look sweet with the green color!!!

Black rims

Old 10-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default 05 Foreman S

How hard is it to pop a wheelie on a 500 4x4 forman s? Is it posible, and does it have good balance? I know it is not made to ride wheelies but just for fun every now and then.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 Foreman S

Stop wondering, 475cc is more than enough power. Ask yuorself do you want to go 50 mph uphill or 50 mph downhill i don't think so.On a certified ATV trail its not possible.The answer to your question, I love the set up of my 03 500 rebucion. You are the enhancer with ridding ability,stan lean foward and high until you reach the top keep the gas going you honda get you there. down hill lean back and creep the 4x4 low gear will walk you like a baby. Never ever lock the front brake down hill with speed you will pay I did.On flat cruve with speed lean to the inside of the turn. If you become very uncomptiable with a hill getting out a ditch(make this decision before flipping up side down) get off and walk the ATV on it own momemtum and you will fell inhanced. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2005, 04:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 Foreman S

well they wiegh 600lbs dry so with gas and my 240lb buddy ,who couldnt shift right, would grab second and lift the tires 6-7in no problem. its actualy scary how fast it is, i had it going 46 in an open straight messing around with a family friend who has a 400 series arctic cat. i dont really care for the power but like alot of torque for pulling and moving easy, esp. on hills. I like black wheels too btw, looks good on alot of vehicles

overall i really like the way this ATV is setup stock, and from what im told when my dad was riding out at our friends house with him, the guy was surprised at how good it would do.

Action450- i will definately try things out, as i can see it looks as if you have used your front skid plate atleast one good time... guess ill check out some tires while im on now too.

Thanks for the help guys!