Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My 400 won't start. WHY????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2000 | 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure your kill switch isn't in the "off" position, that always tricks me.

Maybe you should pull up the choke and see if it'll fire up. Or try pull starting it.

Why would you need a new spark plug allready??
the last time I had mine changed was along time ago. And I never have problems starting, mainly because it's a HONDA!!

Old 10-25-2000 | 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

If you have a W.B. rev box, pull it out and put in the stock cdi box.

Old 10-25-2000 | 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

My 400 is very cold blooded... If it's cold out (say below 50) and I try to ride before it will idle without the choke, it will foul the plug every time. If I wait untill it's warmed up enough to idle by itself, it's fine.

Is there any place other than the dealer where you can pick up those plugs? I have tried all the local parts stores, and none can get it, $7.50 is way to much to pay for a plug.

Leo

Old 10-25-2000 | 11:34 PM
|
Trailblazer

I tried starting with the choke on and off. No difference in results. I still have the stock CDI. The kill swith was "ON". I'm not sure where to get plugs, but I was just going to go to PEP BOYS for them. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2000 | 11:31 AM
Range Rover

Its the plug... when it happened to me I swore it wasn,t till I spent my battery trying and finally changed it and it fired right up.

Old 10-26-2000 | 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

I can almost guarantee you that it is the plug. I had the same problem twice. The first time was when I cleaned my air filter and put it back on, it would not start. It would sputter a little, but would not run. I pulled the plug and cleaned it up a little with some sand paper and still no luck. A friend of mine asked if I tried a new plug. I thought that he was crazy. I put a new one in just to see, and sure enough, thats what it was. The second time the same thing happened after it had not been run in a couple of weeks. I always carry an extra plug with me on the trails just in case. Before you take it to the dealer, change the plug.

Old 10-26-2000 | 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

blaster13-
Did you try pull starting it??...If it starts then you know it's the spark plug or an electrical problem.

Old 10-26-2000 | 11:31 PM
Range Rover

Hey Blaster13...did you get the quad started OK with a new plug????????

A different question here...has anyone thought of a way to keep the mud and grime from getting down into the plug area when you are riding it??? I've had small stones lodge down in the plug area and they were a pain to get out. We've had to put the quad on it's nose and used compressed air to get all the crap out so we could pull the plug.

Old 10-26-2000 | 11:47 PM
|
Trailblazer

No, I wasn't able to get a new plug today. I got home from school and went straight to my girlfriends volleyball game. I didn't get home until 9:30 P.M. I will try to get out tomorrow or Saturday.
ATV-MAN: I had no luck trying to pull start it. I tried for about 10 minutes to pull start it. Even dragged it behind my friends quad.
SLB: No luck starting it. Did not get the new plug yet.
I am not going to take it to the dealer unless the new plug doesn't fix it. It needs to go to the dealer though for some free brakes because of that recall. I will tell them they didn't work one time. Just kidding. Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 10-26-2000 | 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

Smell the exhaust when you are trying to start it as well as the spark plug after you try to start it and pull it out. If they smell of gas then leave the spark plug out and lay a rag over the head to keep stuff from falling into the cylinder. I had to do this and wait about 24 hours after expierencing the same situation that you are facing right now. After 24 hours I put the plug back in and it fired up the first time. Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: My 400 won't start. WHY????