Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Recon Smoking

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Recon Smoking

I have a 2001 Honda Recon, and it uses a little oil. The color of the smoke is kind of a whitish gray. It don't smoke all the time, just when you ride it some, you can stop and rev it some, and it will start to smoke some. When you let it idle for about 5 seconds, it quits smoking. It don't smoke on start up, and doesn't smoke when idling, and you can accelerate without it smoking, but once you ride it for a few minutes, it begins to smoke when you rev it up. It runs great, and idles great, never dies or anything. But it does make a little rattle noise when its running, but its not much when its first started, but it might make a little bit more noise onces its warmed up. I dont know what the problem is, if there is one, and i dont know if that is normal since i am not the first owner. Im trying to sell it and would like to know whats going on. Also on the crankcase breather on the left side of the engine, if you remove the hose while its running, it spits just a little bit of oil out when you first take it off, but its mainly just got a oily film or light coating of oil in the hose. (it goes to the air filter box) I hope i've givin enough information for ya'll to be able to help me. (if not too much info) lol

Old 10-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

Try purging the exhaust since you haven't mentioned any performance problems. To do this take off the bolt near the end of the exhaust on the underside of the can. Plug the exhaust hole with a shop towel ( not the hole where te bolt was removed from). Do all of this with the bike turned off. Once this is done, start the bike up and rev it up quite a bit for a few times (2-3 seconds each time). This should get rid of any extra carbon build up in the can. Is the rattling noise from the exhaust or from near the engine. I am going to guess that it is from the engine...mine did the same thing. I think it was the valves that needed to be adjusted or it could be the cam running. I am not sure. If I had to guess I would say that it's no big deal but adjust the valves any way. Why did you take the hose off of the crankcase? It may have been just suction from removing the hose that caused the fluid to come out. I would have to say that there is no problem whatsoever given the conditions that you described. Mine was very similar.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I rode the fourwheeler for a few days with that plug on the bottom of the muffler off, and i've purged it before. The rattling is comming from the engine. Also, is the clutch suppost to slip when you take off fast when you are shifting gears if you really hit the gas? Mine will slip when you take off fast shifting gears, if you hammer the gas.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer

Okay this could either be a clutch problem or a lack of tread on the tires. I had my tires pretty bald and in 5th gear it would slip. I don't mean that the tires would spin, I mean that the bike seemed to be half way in and half out of gear. Try driving the bike on a long driveway (or preferrably a road) and see if you have the same problem. If you do then it's a clutch problem. It might be as simple as a clutch adjustment.

Old 10-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

Before I can give you any helpful advice, take out the spark plug and see what it looks like. That will give me a better idea on what to tell you.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

The last time I looked at the plug, it was dry; it didn't have any oil on it. It has never fouled a plug.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

What type of oil is in it? Is it just auto oil, or motorcycle specific oil?

Old 10-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Southernmudslinger
The last time I looked at the plug, it was dry; it didn't have any oil on it. It has never fouled a plug.
THe plug is a light tan or light grey in color?

Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Id just keep the oil checked and changed in it regularly and ride it, i rode with a recon for 2 or three seasons that smoked about like u are describing, u couldnt run that thing any harder than that boy did his and its still runnin to this day last i talked to him.

Quick Reply: Honda Recon Smoking