Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Hydromechanical -vs- V-Belt drive transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydromechanical -vs- V-Belt drive transmission

Its pumping oil around to power the system which is very inneficient
it isn't a John Deere WISTECH, the inefficiency you're talking about, isn't that so you have other ratios than 1 to 1? 1 to 1 it might as well be a gear drive as far as efficiency, right? But what about the torque multiplication that happens when the swash plate is off of 1 to 1, how does that figure in?

The Hondamatic does outperform any belt drive I have ever driven, ATV - sled - or golfcart, there isn't a question about it. The hydro is as smooth, but more controllable - more direct reacting, better engine braking, plus the ESP mode which is as manual as a Foreman or Rancher performs with its auto clutch, but faster shifting and no clunk. I can control what rpm my engine runs at by shifting at my discretion, you cannot do that with a belt drive which is all dependant on weights, springs, bushing condition, belt wear, and the way you balance [or compromise] the backshift and upshift of the clutches.

the engine braking is better than a semi-auto, rr, because you never have to take it out of gear to get to the next - its as seamless as you can get with good throttle control. the more I drive it the less I miss my auto clutch, for this type of vehicle where every HP is not as important

the Rubicon tranny is not overly complicated unless you're the type that doesn't like those new-fangled capacitor discharge, microwaves, and tv sets either.

Yes, I have to change the oil to keep it reliable.

it is expensive to replace, but I wonder that each of the belt driven ATV manufacturers sell more $ in spare parts for their belt drives than Honda sells $ in replacement hydraulic units

Honda is the only one with a hydro because they are the only one that [could AND did]. It is a step forward. Honda has always been driven to do stuff like that.

and the next step is an electric motor

The real question is: is the tranny attached to ATV package you are looking for? For many it's no. It was yes for me.

Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

ATVtech1, youre right, i thought it did.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Derag2.....QUOTE...."its well known the hondas have no engine braking or at least not much. And the guys with belt driven trannies have alot better than honda....." NO ENGINE BREAKING....not trying to start an arguement.....BUT....WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON!!!!....I have ridden several Hondas...autos gears etc...The engine breaking is awesome....You have to give them gas to go down hill. Even in 5th gear. On Suzuki's website...it states...The Suzuki Vinson has a dynamic engine breaking system that minimizes freewheeling. MINIMIZES....that means it happens. "Belt driven trannies are alot better than honda...is that why every farm tractor has a belt driven drive....much superior to the hydrostatic transmission. Look listen to ATV tech.....belts are belts...but if you want an auto Honda is the way to go. If you have a belt then go with the manual shift. I have the best of both worlds in the Rubicon ES. I bought the thing as a work horse though not for a trail riding play toy and I had to get the auto because the wife and kids will want to ride it. You could arugue the point up and down but I'll change my oil and sleep better at night with my Honda Gear Tranny. GOOD LUCK.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

i aint buying one for work, possible some work, but it mostly for a play toy, and honda just aintgonna cut it........ if i bought a honda it'd be a foreman S i don't really want an auto at all but it seems as thou its pretty well my only choice.....

Old 11-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

From these answers so far, do I have to understand that hydromechanical is better for work and belt better for « play »?

Old 11-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't say that the belt is sportier, just that the belt is used (with the exception of the Rincon) on sportier quads.

With the introduction of the Rubicon CTE (and newer US Rubicon), I would say that isn't as true as it once was, although there are still more sportier quads than the CTE only available with a belt (or auto clutch such as the Vinson).

Consider all of the latest automatics in sportier cars, they offer the option of drive (D) or picking shift characteristics or ratios, just like the Rubicon in ESP.

It would be an advantage on a sporty machine to be able to control downshift and use variable engine braking (like the Rubicon in ESP, even though the engine braking is still outstanding in D modes).