Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Just looked at used 400EX that I want to buy, but I need some questions answered first before I go back with cash tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd watch out..

4,200 is really cheap..

i'd ask for a bill or sale.

i have a title for my 300ex...and i bought it used!

Old 10-29-2000, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Any ATV sold after July 1st, 1999 had to have a title, by law. They had become such a hot item to steal, they started titling them. Before that date, they came with a certificate of origin. The guy sounds like a swindler, but if you want the quad real bad, see if he will accompany you to the local auditors office to run the vin number on the hot sheet, to see if it is stolen. If he won't, tell him thanks anyway. Sounds like those were 15 very hard hours.

Old 10-29-2000, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

Go ahead and buy it, but have him write you a bill of sale so that if it turns up that the bike was stolen he'll get nailed, otherwise it doesn't sound that bad. If he doesn't want to write you a bill of sale don't buy it, it was obvioulsy stolen!

Old 10-29-2000, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any new motor vehicle is issues either a title or MSO, which is a Manufacturers statement of origin. He has lied to you and one lie usually begets another, I ride in woods all summer and I don't have scratches like that, even on the nerfs.Also, a bill of sale from a thief is about as valuable as a Confederate dollar. If it is stolen you'd still be out the money if caught with it.

Old 10-30-2000, 07:35 AM
Trailblazer

In NY ATV's don't have titles... When you buy it new you get a manufactures statement of origin... when you register it they take the MSO and you get a transferable registration... as far as I know in NY the only valid proof for ownership is a MSO or a registration. I think this varies from state to state. (I bought my 400EX 9/2000 and did not get a title, only a MSO)

Leo

Old 10-30-2000, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

I thought the new title law was federal, just not here in Ohio. Thats true, a bill of sale will not get you out of a recieving stolen property charge. I doubt he would give you the correct info on the reciept if it is stolen. I would move on and find another quad.

Old 10-30-2000, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

I don't know.Sounds like your dream could be a night-mare you can't wake up from!!! It is Halloween.. Too many machines are out there that are stolen and the guys are still paying for them.Hell you can buy a left over for $800 more.New and you would get the title.GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2000, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

A bill of sale will do you no good on a stolen quad. You will be out the $ at best and possible much time trying to work this out.

Ask what dealer he bought it from and call the dealer to verify they sold it to him. Be careful, you might be buying a 400ex that belongs to someone on this forum.....

Old 11-03-2000, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

There are many good ideas posted here. I think the easiest thing to do is what bshiels suggested---ask him where he bought it and if he would mind if you phoned the dealer with the serial number and his name so that you can make a legal transfer of ownership. He must know where he bought it! If he has a problem with this, say thanks, but no thanks---Then PLEASE do the rightfull owner a favor and phone the police. If it is his, and if I were you and serious about buying it, I would ask him if I could take it to a dealer to have it checked over. This may cost a bit, but is very cheap compared to buying a piece of junk. If you aren't a mechanic you could easily overlook something obvious. I just realized that this post is about 4 days too late. If so, what happened? Was it stolen?

Old 11-03-2000, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

So did you buy it or move on?
Here in TX, I just bought a 01 Banshee
and I wont be getting a title till the
bill is paid off. All I have is a Bill
Of Sale from the dealership.
I didnt even have a title when I got my
Blaster 7 months ago, the loan company
keeps the title till the bill is paid off.
If he had paid in cash full then yes he should
have a title and bill of sale.
Sounds a little fishy.
So what did ya do?

JIGGA350

Quick Reply: Just looked at used 400EX that I want to buy, but I need some questions answered first before I go back with cash tonight.