Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

synthetic oil in rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil in rubicon

I知 wondering if using Mobil one syn is ok in the rub. I have read many posts on this subject, and people say not to use automotive syn in the rub because the anti friction agents are bad for the clutch. I might be wrong here but the Trans in the rub are a hydrostatic Trans, which basically means it is a hydraulic motor (which do not have clutches) and your eng in just a pump to pump the fluid through the motor. Like I said I might be wrong here so any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

true, you should not use automotive oils in an atv. The hydrostatic transmission has very specific friction requirements to work correctly. Even though there not be any clutches, there are additives in the automotive oils that do not belong in atv's, for whatever reason. I would either use the honda oil that is recommended, or find something similar, like amsoil.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

2 quick questions:

1. Can other atv's that don't use Honda's hydrostatic transmission use like a Mobil One full synthetic that is designed for auto's?

2. If not, is there another full synthetic for atv's that don't use Honda's hydrostatic transmission to use?

Old 11-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Use Mobile 1 MX4T. It's made just for your atv or motorcycles, has no friction modifiers. I use it in all three of my atv's. Great stuff! about $8.00 a qt at autozone. check out their web site, it will answer all your questions.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a post on this subject (specifically about using synthetics in the Rubicon) a while back, so you might want to do a search and find it. As I recall, there weren't any firm conclusions drawn on what is best used in the Rubi.

Honda Semi-Synthetic HP4 (but DO NOT use HP4M with moly) is recommended by Honda. As best as I can determine, it is a Petroleum/Ester Synthetic blend. Use it, if you can't decide on anything better. You can't go wrong using what the manufacturer recommends. My problem with it is that it is now API SJ, and no longer SG.

I have done a lot of study on oils (I am a biochemist by profession), and have concluded that the PAO synthetics (Mobil 1 and Amsoil) have advantages over petroleum, but the Ester Synthetics have many advantages over the PAO's (it's a choice between good, and even better!). I personally would never use a PAO when I had an Ester to choose from! Maxima Extra and Ultra are my choices for my bikes, and Redline for my truck. http://www.maximausa.com/technical/l...beNews2002.pdf

Another good article on oils...... http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm