Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Just Rode 06 700 Rincon EFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Rode 06 700 Rincon EFI

Well I just came back from riding the 06 Rincon EFI 700. I had called a few dealers that already had them in stock.
But I waited until my closest dealer got theirs. All the first shipments were Camo models. I went over this morning and they already had it parked outside. Cosmeticly the Camo is pretty nice and I myself have never liked camo quads. Everything else looks the same except for the instrument panel. It has been re-worked and has an EFI light also now. The rest seemed the same except for the disc brakes and exhaust were also changed but I didn't even notice it myself. Also the racks are black in color and so are the wheels. I really don't like that but its for the Camo edition. I don't know if the normal colors will be back on the red and green ones or not. Hopefully so.

After he started it I hopped on and made several passes out front on the asphalt. It did fire up very easily and fast. Bottom line, pretty dissapointing to me. I mean I wasn't expecting alot of difference as I already had said in earlier posts but even I was a little dissapointed in it. Main improvement, throttle response is better. But no better than my dyno jetted Rincon after break in. But over a stock 05 Rincon it was an improvment and the VERY bottom end pulls slightly stronger. But to be honest it really seemed no stronger than my 05 which is very well broken in now at 650 miles. My 05 will wheelie on asphalt from a dead stop if you hit WOT, providing the engine doesn't die from the stalling issue. Which brings me to that, I tried by power breaking, and stopping suddenly to get it to stall or die. While it was a little more difficult after I came to a stop once and hit WOT bang, it quit! I tried it again to make sure. Stop, WOT died again. So I was pretty dissapointed with this also. Also the front brakes really didn't seem to grab any harder than what I am used to. They don't grab like the rear does.

What did I really notice that stood out besides the cosmetic changes? The steering. I don't know if mine is out now or what but this quad steers like it has power steering. Even on this black top it was incredibley smooth and light. Maybe its these new tires? Very nice looks, build, more refined, improved throttle response, better lighter steering and even I liked the camo pattern a little. Typical Honda.

He said the camo was 8,100 and the regular version was around 7,900. So I said just out of curiosity, how much for a trade? He said they had new owners who were out of town right now but here was his best guess. 5,000 for my Rincon, which he said they may give me a little more and around 7800 for the 06 after taxes and all. So like I said in the previous post between 2,800 and 3,000$.

In closing I myself wouldn't trade my 05 for this if it was alot less than 2800 difference. I saw or experinced nothing really better than mine. Honest truth guys.
After this bike is broken in there will be more power gains however. I could tell it was stronger than an new 05 in stock form. Acceleration really I couldn't tell much difference, I actually thought mine might even be a little faster? Its close. So after a break in if it gains as much as the older ones did it will be faster. Engine brake from what I could tell on the lot is the same. To me it seemed the same almost in every way other than the steering and the front end would pull up a little stronger than the 05. Also there are doubts looming now as to the stalling issue it is not fully corrected IMO. And is just the nature of this beast I suppose although not as bad as mine but the idle was faster than mine also.

Maybe a good choice for a new buyer but not for me. Only way I could see trading would be if you rode at different elevations all the time that isn't strait up and down and were a Hunter and had to have a Honda with the camo color pattern Then it might be worth it for a very quiet hunting bike that is very comfortable and has EFI.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

does it have more low end pulling power will it out tow a rancher 350 now

Old 11-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Range Rover

I have no idea as I haven't ever ridden a Rancher 350. But even with the high gearing I would have thought the current Rincon would have out towed a 350 anyway?

Old 11-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

I talked to a Honda dealer about the new Rincon and he said exactly the same thing, it doesn't seem to be any more powerful than the 650 Rincon. I noticed that when I bought a Honda Foreman 450es after having a Foreman 400, it didn't have a noticable amount of increased power. I am a little surprised with the Big Bore ATV's getting more powerful that Honda didn't increase it to 750 or so.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

i think honda is crazy for not coming out with something that will stand up against teh biggest open classers. my 500 will maybe not smoke but deffinatly beat the rincon in a drag and through the woods, and im down 150 cc. does the new one have a low range or even a locker yet?

Old 11-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer

What did the Camo look like to you? I really like the Realtree Hardwoods pattern and I haven't seen the Natural Gear pattern in person. Please describe the NG pattern if possible,as such as limbs or leafs in the print. Thanks Alan

Old 11-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

It doesn't have a locker or a low range. Just like the current version basicly other than the EFI. I can't really remember the specifics of the Camo. I just thought it looked better than the old hardwoods or real tree patterns. Looked more like a snowy blend with a lighter overall feel. Also the guy there said most of the Camos he had seen were wrapped like sheirnk wrapping around the plastic. Thats why they peel off sometimes. But he said this seem to be different like it was molded in that way. It did seem very high quality all around.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

First off, its not a real 700, rounded up it should have been called a 680, so that's why there's little difference in power.

The true beneifit to EFI, is not throttle response and reduced stalling (crap hauling any bike can make it stall), but changes in temperature and elevation. This bike will run optimly no matter the time of year (winter/summer) and will run as strong at teh base of a mountain as the top. With a carbed bike, there's always a comprimise, usually to the Rich setting which is safer for the engine at the expense of power.

As for the rest, I'm not surprised about the brakes, I've said for a long time that properly maintained drum brakes work at least as well as disc brakes. Only drawback is heat, which is rarely an issue on a utility bike. Transport trucks still use drum brakes because they exert ALOT more stopping power then disc brakes.

This ATV still needs a low range, or at least follow in Honda fashion and include a bull low 1st gear.