Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

skid plate + plow mount solution?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skid plate + plow mount solution?

Earlier this year I bought myself some Ricochet skid plates. They have performed great taking some ruthless shots by rocks and various other debris. The only drawback came this past weekend, when I was getting the Rubi ready for winter. I had to take the underbody skid plates off and put my plow mount back on. What a pain in the rear.

First, (my fault) the holes that the plow mounting bracket use got totally packet with mud and (probably) started to rust a little. It was very difficult to get the bolts in, hopefully nothing stripped or went in crocked.

Second, taking the Ricochet plates off was pretty difficult the bolts were practically welded on there, I can't believe none of them got stripped or broke. I'll probably have to replace the bolts next year.

Now that the job's done I'm trying to be smarter for next year.

Here's what (ultimately) I think would work.

Some kind of custom made hybrid skid plate/plow mount that I won't have to interchange anymore. It seems simple (of course I have no fabricating experience), could almost take a regular skid plat and weld the mount points wherethe push tubs connect on. Has anyone made such a thing? What are people using for skid plate/plow mount solutions? Or does everyone just swap between the two twice a year.

Anyone know of any fabricating shops in OH (preferably north east) that could come up with a solution for me.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

Two problems with your solution for the plow; One the plate is aluminum and your mount is steel, can’t weld dissimilar metals together. You could bolt them to the plate or make aluminum mounts (might not take the abuse of plowing though. Second having the mounts on permanent means stuff hangs down from your bike to hang you up on stuff.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, I know I can't do anything with the aluminum skid plates and the steel plow mount, but thought I could get something new fashioned, maybe with the ability to just bolt on the mounts for the plow...mainly just wondering if anyone has come up with some inovative solution.

Thanks