Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is it worth getting the honda extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000 | 01:47 PM
|
Range Rover

I am thinking about getting Honda's extended warranty. It is about 400 bucks for three years. Is it worth it? Also do dealers have the ability to haggle with that price like car dealers do?

Old 11-01-2000 | 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Boots: Why would you want to buy an extended warranty for a Honda?

Old 11-01-2000 | 04:05 PM
|
Range Rover

Thats what I was thinking but I wanted to see if anyone else felt that it would not be worth it.

Old 11-01-2000 | 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

i have it for my 400ex and it is great. i have had so much done with no hassle

Old 11-01-2000 | 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

I think mine was $520. Just like insurance, you may not need it, but if you do, it sure is nice.

Old 11-01-2000 | 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe with an all new ATV like the Rubicon it may be worth it.I almost got one when I bought my 450es,now Im glad I didnt get it.With 2500 miles and 400hrs on it, I have not had any trouble what so ever with it.My brother in law works for a dealer and he said extended warrantys are big money makers for them,thats why they always push them.

Old 11-01-2000 | 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

"Boots: Why would you want to buy an extended warranty for a Honda?"

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!! I have NEVER had ANY problem with any Honda I have ever owned other than regular maintenence. That's why I buy Honda!! Why waste the $$$$ on a warranty. Guess I may think about one on a brand new model - but still wouldn't get it!!

Old 11-02-2000 | 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just last week I was talking to my friend who works over at American Honda headquarters. He was sharing that thier Extended warrantee covered Normal wear and tear on the engines. He talked about how they get stuff in that is not coverd by the manufacter warrantee, but the extended warrantee covers it, yet nothing went wrong..other than it just wore out. He is amazed that they do business this way.

I guess it makes sense...why would people buy a extended warrantee when the only thing that might go wrong with a Honda is nothing but wearing out. And that takes alot of use! So if you are going to run that Honda into the ground 24-7, buy the warrantee. For occasional use, it will last for decades, so save your money.

FirstGear

Old 11-02-2000 | 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

I would have to say it would add a little a piece of mind. I had a 450s and two years into it, the neutral light stopped working. No big deal, just annoying after while. The light is not your standard light, they needed to replace the whole display. So, I spent around $300 hundred on the 3 year warranty for the 450s. The display I believe was around $150 ,and shop time was 2 hours at $65 hour or so, my total expense would have been around $280(est.) Yes, I know that I would have been under my original investment for the warranty, but I was happy to just to drop it off and pick it up, no cash out of pocket.

Now with the Rubicon, my extended warranty was around $500 for 5 years and they cover all of the stuff Honda will not (it is not HondaCare). I have never ran into any mechanical problems with the Hondas I have owned over the last 7 years, but I believe an extra $500 on top of a $7000 machine is worth the money. There are a lot of components on the Rubicon that are not serviceable, and the Rubicon is new to the market. When I bought my TRX300, I did not by the warranty, as the bike had already proving itself for many years.

Anyway, for myself it is worth it, and I would recommend it.

Ride and ride often…

Schtick

Old 11-02-2000 | 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

I was in the same boat as you when I bought my 2000 450ES. Do I,don't I... I ended up not doing it even though I was one of the unlucky few who had troubles with the ES program..Got that resolved and not a problem since. Cost of those warranties generally is about half of the asking price if I'm not mistaken.The "there's no negotiating" line is a load of total crap! If the place you are dealing with won't negotiate, there are other places you can buy your extended warranty within the six month period. I can't remember the name of the place but a while back, there was a retailer who was selling 3 year warrenties (Honda) for I think about $50 over cost. You could buy it over the phone as long as you had your VIN# and the dates were correct..You may want to post a request for online dealers/USA wide retailers who offer extended warranties..

Look around..

Quick Reply: Is it worth getting the honda extended warranty