Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Anyone having starting problems with 450er?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone having starting problems with 450er?

Hearing some issues and I plan to pick up mine on Thursday. It isn't too late to back out so I just wanted to check.

If it is just that the battery is too small, I can deal with that. My concern is the starter can't crank over the compression.

Thanks,

jon

Old 12-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

All the ones that I have ridden start perfect cold. Just can't be throttling it when you hit start cold. Choke on, no throttle until it fires.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dunefool
All the ones that I have ridden start perfect cold. Just can't be throttling it when you hit start cold. Choke on, no throttle until it fires.
Thanks.

I've read a few posts stating the engine turns over really slow. I was trying to figure out if it was due to a small battery or if the starter isn't strong enough to overcome the compression. I don't mind fabricating for a bigger battery. I am sure it won't be long until someone offers a new cage supporting a larger 400ex style battery if this is the problem. An undersized starter would be a bigger problem.

Any issue starting it once it is warmed up?

Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Mine always fires right up...cold or hot. You just can't give it any gas while trying to start. The starter spins the motor over perfectly fine.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

A few things I think need to be considered here. First, the type of battery that the 06 450r comes with is pre-charged from the factory, unlike most other models. The battery may have been sitting for months without being given additional charge. I think it's safe to say that not all dealers "top" the battery's charge off when they PDI the unit. This could make the fist few starts of some people's bike a little slow. Secondly, if you give the unit gas when hitting the starter button it will start poorly if at all.

Anyone that owns an electric start bike of any kind should always put it on a trickle charger when they are not riding it or they will eventually have starting issues and need a new battery. You can get a battery tender that some with a pig tale that you can keep on your battery for easy hookup. I work at a dealer and have had a million people with battery problems come in and say "I let my other bike sit for a long period of time and it starts fine every time." Well for every time this is said there was a bike that would handle that and one that went dead. Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The E-start models still come with a kicker, if there is an issue you could start it with the kicker when it is cold. When it is warm even a slow turn over from the magic button should fire it up.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motox26
The E-start models still come with a kicker, if there is an issue you could start it with the kicker when it is cold. When it is warm even a slow turn over from the magic button should fire it up.
There are two different models for 2006...one with electric start and one with kick but not one with both.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motox26
There isn't a kick starter on the e-start model.

/Jon

Old 12-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? I thought for sure I saw a E-start model with a kicker on it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Must be something in the water around these parts.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]