Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

EX or Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EX or Z

ok 400ex or z400, which one of these quads is better for rutted dificult trails? which one is better for steep hill climbs? and which is a better duner?

Old 12-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

Well i would much rather ride the z...the z has reverse and i have rode one, and it climbs excellent! compared to a 400ex, which is too light in the front end, so i would definitly pick the Z400

Old 12-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

im talkin about the 06 models, so both have reverse, i also hear that the z you have to shift more often, and that the ex has better low end but the has better top ene,

Old 12-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

but the z has better top end*

Old 12-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

Ihe z is the better machine in every posible way.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Range Rover
Default EX or Z

Unless you really like changing out timing chains I'd stay away from the Z, as they eat them up. The 400ex bone stock has a little less top speed and that is about it. The 400ex will grunt it's way through tough trails without stalling a bit easier than the Z as well. When the YFZ's came out, I ran Harescrambles on my 400ex and did very well. Riding something you like is very important, as well as it must not let you down either. I trust a Honda over anything else.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2005, 02:11 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EX or Z

The EX is by far the better machine for semi-technical trails where you have to ride slowly. It has an engine that doesn't mind being lugged down. Just put it is 1st gear and idle on through.

The Z has an engine that likes to be ridden revved out (but not as much as say a 450R) and it has a lighter flywheel, so it isn't a happy at really slow speeds. If you are going to go slow, you will need to do lots of clutch work.

The Z with just some simple mods like opening up the airbox and a pipe, has way more motor than the EX. This makes it a better choice for the dunes and anywhere you need lots of top end speed.

When I am going on a trail ride, I pick the EX. For open faster trails and mixed desert, I pick the Z. For the wide open desert, the 450R is my chariot of choice!

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Range Rover
Default EX or Z

The Z has an engine that likes to be ridden revved out (but not as much as say a 450R) and it has a lighter flywheel, so it isn't a happy at really slow speeds. If you are going to go slow, you will need to do lots of clutch work.
"reconranger"

thats so not true. my kfx does not mind low speed at all. it is a champ through technicals too. i will say that the 400 ex is the cadillac of quads but the kfx/z is cheaper and faster. as for clutch work, first gear will crawl without playin wit the clutch at all. the z/kfx has good bottom end too.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EX or Z

Originally posted by: RIDER11X
Unless you really like changing out timing chains I'd stay away from the Z, as they eat them up.
This statement is completely false! I owned a Z400 and never had a problem, my friend's Z has MANY hard hours on it and it runs flawless.

The EX will lug down a little better making it better on technical trails, and the Z is a little more peppy and smoother making it a little more better everywhere else. Either way they are both bullit proof and will get you where you need to go.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Range Rover
Default EX or Z

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: RIDER11X
Unless you really like changing out timing chains I'd stay away from the Z, as they eat them up.
This statement is completely false! I owned a Z400 and never had a problem, my friend's Z has MANY hard hours on it and it runs flawless.
Really? Let me enlighten you and others with this Link about z400 timing chain problems.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It's always good to do your research.