Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda warranty?

well i took my 4 wheeler up to honda about 3 weeks ago cause of the smoking issue... i finally got a call today and they say its got mud in the engine and that isnt covered under the warranty... so i say well is a 4 wheeler not made for offroad use? and she said well the warranty only covers error in workmanship when it was made, or some crap like that... she said the total to fix it would run me a little over $1000 dollars and i said ill call you back.... this thing only has 200 miles on it and its a 2004... does anyone have any info that would help me out? i even bought the honda protection plan which is an extended warranty... this is bull... ive never even had this thing in deep mud or anything...

Old 12-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default honda warranty?

how did the mud get in? they must know or they aren't fixing the root cause.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default honda warranty?

the only time that mud would have gotten into the exaust or anything would be one time when it tipped over in some mud, but besides that i dont know... i kept the oil changed after that and everything... it started smoking when i went down a steep incline..

Old 12-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default honda warranty?

blowing smoke from the pipe? if so, i have some q's for you. mine smokes, and theres only about 35 hrs on the engine. just got it. i did buy the warranty, and my bike doesnt see mud-as a rule. did the nice lady imply that if it was a problem with rings or valves unrelated to mud that she WOULD fix it under warranty?

Old 12-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default honda warranty?

You are the third person that has had a problem with a warranty. my friend brought in a 400 ex with a bad bearing .Thay said it was not covered cause water and mud got in a sealed bearing . The warranty is very iffy. it is for a workmanship defects only. I am on the fence for the same reason. try another dealer ior call honda direct

Old 12-23-2005, 08:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default honda warranty?

Honda's extended warranty is a JOKE at best. I bought a 3 year Honda Care warranty with my new 2003 Rincon. And before the warranty ran out, I took the ATV in to get some parts covered. My right rear wheel bearing and tie-rods has some play in them. Honda refused to cover ANY of these parts and said they were WORN and not defective.

Why by their warranty in the first place since every single part on the ATV that has ANY movement to it at all,is subject to being WORN after awhile.

Uesless warranty and I wont be buying Honda anytime soon.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default honda warranty?

after this i will not be buying another honda....

Old 12-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default honda warranty?

it gotten old muddy, give it a rest. can't you be constructive for a change? you've added nothing except your usual Honda bash. Maybe they should have replaced your tires too?

third (or 10th) warranty issue out of how many hundred thousand units sold a year?

first damagezwk, you said you never had it in deep mud, then you say you tipped it over in the mud and it got in your exhaust. Not having all the facts [MUDDY], I'm not going to pick on Honda or the dealer.

However, warranty is normally applied by dealers. they don't make any money off of warranty (except the sale of the warranty - practically free money for them), they make money off of parts and labor. be relentless with the dealer or bring Honda in if you have to - if you are not at fault.

did they tell you how mud got in the engine??? ask them. ask them what they are basing their rebuild on. Rings? Valves? That gizmo under that thing? Compression test/what was the reading? Leak down test? If there's a pound of dirt in there you may have a tuff argument.

if you changed the oil right after the mud event, and it isn't contaminated now, your dealer may be full of crap. mud in the exhaust does not mean you got mud in the cylinder. many riders drown their quads and never have ring issues. sounds like it could be bull. If the thing started after you tipped it, you didn't have much mud in the cylinder. If you flushed it before starting, then changed it again after running it (flush), I don't see what your dealer is talking about.

If you contaminated your oil and ran it for some time, then it is possible you did damage your engine. If it turns out that it is your fault, ride it till it doesn't run before you rebuild it (if it's just rings and not bearing damage).

1 year and I haven't had to turn a wrench except to change fluids. my brakes are mint too. who needs a warranty, well maybe those models that have been rushed to market with their new 'features'

Old 12-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default honda warranty?

Propnut,

I see NOTHING in my post that indicates a Honda Bash,I stated only the facts,my comments are very constructive to those with OPEN minds.

Honda Basher?--------no sir,it only appears this way to a very FEW ''HONDA LOYALIST'' that are so loyal to Honda,they dont see the whole picture,such as yourself.

When an individule purchases a Honda ATV and is sold a 3 year extended warranty,than is told by the selling dealer that everything covered under the normal 6 month manufactures warranty will also be covered under the Honda Care warranty,the buyer EXPECTS tie-rods and loose wheel bearings to be a COVERED part under his extended warranty 2-1/2 years later. Especially given the FACT that one tie rod end was covered within the normal 6 month manufactures warranty already.

You are the blind--leading the blind.You are so loyal to Honda,you cannot see the light.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default honda warranty?

it hasnt been deep in the mud... and i didnt say that it did get in the exaust... im not sure if it did or not... i do know that right after that happened i immediately drained the oil and went and bought new oil and filter and changed it twice... i never asked them how it got in there but they did say the rings were bad...

Quick Reply: honda warranty?