Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATV age based riding restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV age based riding restrictions

Please HELP!!
I have a 12 year old son who is 5'-2" and weighs 110lbs. My friend just purchased a Honda 90cc for his 8 year old son who is around 4'-0' and weighs less than 80lbs. My 12 year old looks like a NFL football player trying to ride a mini-bike. I can't imagine that due to Indiana laws he has to ride a quad this size for the next 4 years.
MY DILEMMA is that he is needs a quad according to state law 90cc or less, BUT he is physically to big. I would like to be able to trail ride in the state parks, but I can't afford a ticket or worse to have the quad confiscated if caught by DNR or the police.
I have considered a Honda Recon that I believe is 250cc, or something in that engine size range. I need to find a quad that is 90cc and has a large frame.
Does anyone have any better idea.
I am desperate enough that I have considered buying an off-brand 110cc (Kazuma, Redcat, or other) since they have the larger frame, but they are still bigger than 90cc.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

there are no LAWS that say a 12 year old has to ride anything under 90ccs. there are laws that they cant be sold anything over 90ccs. i did a huge report on this in english. he can ride a raptor if he wants and u want to buy it for him. the laws are for purchasing not riding limitations. unless indy has diff ones.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

First, those aren't just Hondas ratings, they pertain to all manufactures. And like Turtle said, the dealer can't sell anything over 90cc to anyone under 16. Here in Wisconsin, a 14 year old can take a DNR safety course and be allowed to ride a full size quad legally. You may want to check your state laws.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only thing you have to look for is if he gets hurt ridding a quad bigger than the recommended size, you could be liable. Some states have crazy child abuse laws, but as the guys posted above you honestly can buy him anything you want. The manufacturers have that age chart to keep them from being liable.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:10 AM
MrD
Trailblazer

Friends of ours recently had some issues with their medical insurance over this issue. Their 9 year-old daughter had a fairly mild accident in the desert that resulted in an emergency room visit and 9 stitches to her chin. A few weeks later their med insurance company called and grilled them about what sort of supervision she had, if and what kind of helmet she was wearing, and exactly what model and size ATV she was riding. Later some sort of investigator called them and grilled them even more on these issues and exactly where it had happened, near Blaster City, CA. She was riding a Suzuki LT80 which is supposed to be for 12-15 year olds. They are now a bit worried as to what exactly is going to happen next, maybe nothing but maybe not???

Old 01-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your other option is to put him on a motorcycle. Look at a CRF150 for him to start out on. Two years ago when my son was 12, we started him out on a 150. They are great bikes for trail riding.

Just a thought.

SB.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

Wow, Kansas finally has one benefit, no age restrictions on ATVs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I remember as a kid I got myself plenty banged up on dirt bikes. I'm probably a little too protective of my boys and sometimes can't imagine letting them do the things my parents used to let me do! There is a fine line between letting your kids learn some things on their own and being overly cautious. I'm sure my kids wish I'd let them learn a little more on their own, sometimes I wish I did, but the thought of "what if" always scares me.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

jd3020,

I agree with you 100 percent and that is why I put my son on a motorcycle. Sure he has taken some spills but at least he didn't have the weight of a quad falling on top of him or rolling over him. And actually he has never had his bike fall on top of him at all. He has always fallen away from his bike. When he first started riding he would drop the bike more than anything. Now here is the thing, my daughter wanted a quad and not a motorcycle but I thought I knew better. So I put her on a 2004 TTR 90. Well this back fired on me and she quit riding with us. She did not like when she would go down on her bike. Now some time last year I asked her if I bought her a quad would she ride with us again and she said yes. This how we ended up with our first quad. Granted it's not the best quad but it was a place for her to start and I'm not out a few thousand dollars for a new quad not knowing if she would keep riding with us. I think when a parent goes out to buy the quad or bike the child should have a little input also. Now this doesn't mean you let them make the decision on what they will ride just on what they feel most comfortable riding. For me the choice was easy for my kids. I am not an overly cautious person. Kids are pretty resilient. They fall down and most of the time bounce back up.

Here in California we only have guidelines or recommendations with regard to the size and age of an ATV rider. However, they still must possess a State ATV Safety Certificate of completion or ride with an adult who has proof of completing the safety course.

Fishertown, Does your state have any restrictions (i.e.: age limits, weight, etc...) on kids riding motorcycles or are the restrictions limited to quads.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

In Indiana, theres not an age limit unless your riding on government land. If you stay on private property, they can't enforce the age limit. They can however get you if you have an accident and have to go to the hospital. They can, not that they will, get you for child endangerment, or something like that. On private land, and that includes most all race tracks, its left to the land owner. Check your riding areas and see exactly what they enforce. I would also sugjest if its still a problem, to look into a dirt bike. It will make him a better quad rider if he ever switches over.

There is no age, size limit for bikes in Indiana. Also, some private riding areas will word their rules to allow a child to ride around the pitts and wide open places, but will not allow a child on the trails. (and there is a marked place to show the limits) Like I said, you really need to check the places you want to ride and see what their rules are.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

they also say that u must be 16 years or older to ride the grizzly 660.... oops, lol.

but seriously.... im sorry that ur kid cant ride wat he wants/needs and i hope u guys could figure sumthin out. good luck.

Quick Reply: ATV age based riding restrictions