Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Auto Tranny or Shift for Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Tranny or Shift for Reliability?

Originally posted by: propnut
alright now, enough with the semantics. Show me a wet (centrifugal) clutch that doesn't have to rely on a traditional wet friction plate clutch too on a constant mesh ATV or motorcycle tranny and I'll admit you didn't take his comment out of context.

Wet or dry has nothing to do with the function of the clutch, just its longevity.

And yes, all belts slip some. How do you think it climbs the sheaves? It must slip to operate right.
All this time we have been talking about the wet (centrifugal) clutch on my CVT Yamaha.
Thats what he wanted me to show him....and I did.
I backed my statements up with proof.....all I get from you guys is a bunch of lip service.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I wasnt offended by his slight at a cvt tranny its just annoying when 14 year old kids all hopped up on puberty sprout mouths.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

And that because they ride a manual clutch quad that they are god on wheels, or are better drivers. Its retarded.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

well, it's nice to know that you guys have one too. we have one of these over on the Polaris forum, likes to squak but can't listen and admit when wrong. guess you gotta take the good with the bad, good info here but always a bad apple. it's best to ignore him, but if you do acknowledge him, like now, address him in the third person, it will drive him nuts and he will go pout. (holy cow, another page, I was referring to Ganggreen here btw.)

I just recently learned about the differences between the Polaris snowmobile type trans and the Suzi and Yamaha wet clutch belt trans. both can have their problems, I think as long as you are in the proper gear range they will hold up. I run mine in low almost all the time because of low speed chores and heavy hauling. so far so good.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

ok, I'm more confused now than when I started reading this post. the belt on the Suzi and Yamaha still "slips" but only for gear ratio change? it doesn't slip like the Polaris for each acceleration cycle right, that's where the internal clutch comes in? I was under the impression that the Suzi/Yamaha belt was always tight like a power steering pump belt and idle slip was taken care of by the internal clutch but I didn't think about how the gear ratio is changed...