Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2002 rancher es

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 rancher es

I have a 2002 rancher es that has not shifted properly for the past year. It was at my "Qualified"Honda dealer for four months and they could not figure the problem out. I bought the clymer repair manual and I think the problem lies in the electronic control unit.The machine will not shift into gear, or once in first gear it will not shift into second. Sometimes if you turn it off and try again it will shift perfectly, sometimes you have to manually shift it and run it for a couple of minutes, shut it off, and it will shift fine. About six months ago the reverse stopped working at all, except if shifted manually. My question is,can this machine be converted to manual shift in leiu of spending $400 on a new e.c.u. As to who is my "Qualified"honda dealer, they are Sovies Cycle Shop, Potsdam, New York. I have never encountered such incompetence. I don't pretend to be a mechanic by any means, but after looking over the clymer manual, I have a better idea what is wrong with my machine than their "Qualified" mechanics did, after four months of looking at it.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2002 rancher es

i dont mean to put you down or anything, but it's really easy to blame the ECU when it could be any of the sensors or the wiring. Those early models had a problem with the angle sensor, mounted down by the shift motor. I would replace that first, then use an ohm-meter and check continuity on all your wires and check for any shorts to ground.

It could also be the gear indicator sensor as well, speed sensor, etc. Also, if your battery is weak it will cause the shift motor to not work properly, and the AC generator on these machines is not designed to put out enough amperage to power the shift motor alone. Have your battery load tested and replaced if necessary.

Also, there is NO way to convert these machines to manual shift as far as i know, it could make things worse if you tried. You could break something in the transmission and then you'd really be in for trouble.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2002 rancher es

Converting the ESP to manual shift would be more money and time spent than just buying a whole new machine. The front engine cover, both shift shafts (which requires complete engine teardown), ECM, wiring harness and probably other components I can't think of right now.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2002 rancher es

its most likely your angle sensor, my buddies rancher did that, and my foreman did it. Angle sensor fixed both of them.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2002 rancher es

Its the angle sensor! Almost positve! My friend had an 05 w/ that problem and it was in the shop for about a week tops! So I think your dealer's whack!!! but thats just my opinion!!!

Old 02-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 rancher es

With the shifter in Neutral, turn the ignition on and press both up and down shift buttons at the same time momentarily. Then press and hold both for at least 2 seconds. when you release them this time, you should get your trouble codes flashing on your digital display. Refer them to your Clymer manual, or contact a HONDA dealer if you need to.
Cheerz,
Dave