Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

daytona 600 engine in 250x frame, airbox and oil pan questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daytona 600 engine in 250x frame, airbox and oil pan questions...

ok, I am building a frankenquad right now. dont have much yet. just the frame, some 400 arms/shocks/tierods and bar/clamps, levers, brake lines etc. still need lots of parts, but I am not sure on the engine. I have a daytona 600 engine/ECU/radiator/...(I have the complete bike in the shed thats wrecked) and I was looking at it and I came acros 2 mauin problems so far. I think I have them solved but wanna see what you guys think about my ideas.

1. oil pan- where the oil pickup tube starts at the block, cut it off so it sticks about 3/4-1" past the plane where the pan bolts to. then either tap pipe threads onto it, or somethign along those lines to have a threaded nub sticking past the bottom of the block. then make a flat plate of steel or soemthing that bolts in place of the oil pan and get an external oil tank and run lines from the fitting poking through the plate to the can. havent taken the pan off but I know I need to do some kind of oil return so the tank always has oil to draw from. and Ill have to seal the plat to the fitting, but these I can deal with when the time comes, I need the basic idea first.

2. airbox- obviously it has 4 throttle bodys, and tilting the engine a bit farther forward to fit the head in the frame makes the TB's even m0ore in the way to try and get an airbox above them. but I was thinking of making my own kind of intake manifold, like a long rectangle box out of sheet metal that had 4 holes with flanging for silicone couplers to be clamped to the manifold and to the TB's, and then open up one side of it and have some kind of cone filter like on a cars intake or something. I doubt it will flow quite as good as the bikes setup but gotta do what you gotta do.

anyone have any better ideas or ways to improve on my ideas? know anyone whos done this? any websites that shows step by step someone doing something similar?

ive seen an R1 and a R6 banshee and a hayabusa powered DS650, but no good closeups or no build pics.