Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help my rancher from getting stuck in sandy creeks

you smoking crack?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

A man or ATV has to know it's limitations. I guess in your case you haven't learned them yet. Do you still put your hand on the burner when it's on? Kidding. I suggest you get a winch to help you through. Bigger tires? Jet kit? hardly. At best taller tires might get you in a little deeper because you won't high center as quick.

But I must say I smile when I here the 2x4 going places a 4x4 can't. One of my most favorite things is to put the KQ or rancher in 2x4 and see how far I can go. When I get stuck, slip it into 4x4 and crawl out. Then I say so that's how far a 2x4 would have made it, glad I have 4x4's. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's especially fun in sandy areas.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

with the exception of mud , i guarantee i can go any were you do

Old 02-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

I could take you to quite a few places where I guarntee you would not make it.There are just some places a 2x4 just can't go I'm sorry. But I hope that I have helped a little.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

For sand, airing the tires down to like 2 or 3 psi really helps.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Being new to this (Honda) forum I think I can relate to the 2x4 vs 4x4 delema. I just sold a Trailboss 330 to get a 4x4. It had plenty of power with the mods I had and could go alot of places. All of my friends have 4x4 quads and me being the only 2x4 was the smallest of the bunch. They were always surprised how much my 2x4 could go through but when it comes to mud or hills they ALWAYS went further. Going over big logs a 2x4 cant do unless you jump them but that would not be smart. A few weeks ago we were riding in up state New York. We came upon a very steep hill about 200yards long. The 4x4's had a long running start to get up and they barely made it. I was left at the bottom wondering how the hell I was going to get up. The ground had snow so traction was poor. I got back as far as I could and hit the throttle. Well traction was gone from the start. I think I may have hit the hill at about 20mph and they hit it at about 40mph. I made it about half way up before I had to jump off and hold the quad so I could get winched up the rest of the way. I have always enjoyed my 2x4 quads up untill then. So any time I get to something that I could not do like the 4x4's, they had to help. I dont like being the last one to try things and thats pretty much how it worked out every time we went riding. A 4x4 will always be better than a 2x4 unless its more tight technical trails. Needless to say I now own a Rincon. No more being left behind.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

unless your climbing trees i don't care if the steep hill was 300miles long, or the snow was 12" deep it sounds like you need a little experience, don't think that 4-wheel drive can compensate for poor riding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You have no clue how much experience I have. I have been riding for 20 yrs. I am in an off road club. I run mud trucks in competitions. I do rock crawling. I know what it takes to get places and it is just a fact that 4 wheels are better than 2 PERIOD!!!. I dont see why you are getting so defensive because you have a 2wd that you think can do anything a 4wd can do. I have been there and thats why I now have a 4wd. Im not saying that your 2wd cant do everything a 4wd can do but a 4wd will do it better. If I break a front axle on any of my trucks it is pretty much useless. It does not matter how much experience you have it will not climb a rock with 2wd. It is the laws of gravity and physics.

OH and by the way your the one asking for help because of a little sand. So I guess that means you dont have enough experience!

Old 02-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

a truck rock climbing hands down beats an atv.you are right about if you broke an axle you wouldnt go up any rocks.i havent seen an atv yet that could keep up with a truck or buggy on rock climbs or any thing else . i only said i could climb any hill a 4-wheel drive could.when it comes to nasty mud the 4x4 got me. i ride with 4x4 all the time , i have never not been able to follow.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How can you say you can climb ANY hill that a 4wd can. You will lose traction and spin the rear tires at some point and it will either dig in or traction will be lost. A 2wd only has 2 points of traction and is always pushing up hill. A 4wd has 4 points of traction, pushes and pulls. 2wd is like me trying to push my atv up a hill by myself. But then again your in Ohio. Not many hills there. Come to PA and see what hills your 2wd can climb.

Quick Reply: help my rancher from getting stuck in sandy creeks