Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Am I stupid or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I stupid or not?

I have been a honda fan for as long as I have been alive and still am. But here lately I have been thinking of switching to Artic Cat for a trail riding quad over the Rincon. I am still a Honda fan and will always but I got a look at the Artic Cat 650 at Bass Pro. The main reasons I am thinking of switching is because of the three year warranty Artic Cats have and the ground clearance. They have to be pretty reliable for them to put a 3 year warranty on it. Unless they are like Kia's automobiles, always in the shop. And I also like that it has a differential lock, bigger tires and a 5 speed I think.

I would reconsider the Honda Rincon if it had a 5 speed instead of a 3 three speed. In my opinion the 3 speed is not a made for trail riding for a couple reasons. One, it doesn't have the engine braking like the 5 speeds do. BTW, I am talking about the 05 models and before. They say engine braking has improved on the 06 models, but it not going to be as good as a 5 speed. Two, it is also geared to high for hill climbing. Because if you can't make it up in first you are screwed. Does anybody think I'm stupid for thinking of switching to Artic Cat? As far as keeping one for long term I will stay with Honda. Please don't let this turn into a bashing thread. I just wandered which would be the better trail riding quad, the Rincon or the Artic Cat 650.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

The Rincon IS a better trail riding quad, the Artic Cat 650 only comes in auto, so there wont be a 5 speed, they do have a 5 speed in their 500 Manual, but anyway, no your not stupid, everyone has opinions, part of the fun of atv'ing is being somewhat brand loyal, i am brand loyal to honda and polaris for different reasons, but to answer your question, the Rincon is a better trail ride, the Artic Cat is a better.. almost everything else, lol
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak - STOLEN
2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Winch
Sold

Old 02-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

How can a 3 speed be better for trail riding than a bike with an automatic that has five speeds?

Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

in just the aspect of a 3 speed vs an Auto, the Artic Cat has the Honda, i know this. But everything else goes to the Honda .. its a MUCH more comfortable ride, the Artic Cat's handling and erognomics arent near as good as honda's, and the lower center of gravity on the Honda makes it much more stable.. and its not a 5 speed, its an auto..
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak - STOLEN
2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Winch
Sold

Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

As far ergonomics and handling go I have never rode an Artic Cat. But I used to own an 03 Rincon and the ride and handling were great. The suspension could be stiffer I thought. And I know it's an auto but doesn't it shift 5 times?

Old 02-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Nope...it has an infinetly variable belt drive. There are much more than 5 speeds, but they are automatic and none are selectable. The two pulleys work against and in unison with each other to select the proper ratio....you wont feel any shifting, as its real gradual.
Which 650 are you looking at...the single cylinder or the vtwin kawasaki motor?
A/C s are usually much higher off the ground, and it gives great ground clearance, but the trade off is a much tippier ride in corners and off camber riding. Its not gonna be a smooth and refined as the ride on the rincon, but itll go thru much tougher terrian.
You should ride one if possible, and get a feel for the motor and tranny, and the ride.
Kia and hyndie cars have a 10 year warentee...you gonna buy one because chevy only has 3? Sometimes the warentee is a marketing move to sell more vehicles, and nothing to do with quality.
The rincon wasnt designed to be a hillclimber, it was designed for comfortable trail riding, and it excells at that.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

agreed. the warranty length is usually a gimmick the manufacturer uses to "trick" you into thinking the product is better. It usually has nothing to do with the quality of the product. They think you'll buy the product with the 3 year warranty over the 6 month warranty.

Why do u think they sell extended warranties? Does your bike magically become "better" when you lay down the cash for the extra warranty? of course not. It's just insurance, like gambling. Either spend 500 bucks now and have the manufacturer pay for all related repairs for the next 3 years, or let the original expire and risk having to pay for them all by yourself.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Trailblazer

I heard AC engines were made in China. Not sure but I think the rest is assembled in the US.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to own an arctic cat and I'm not the kind to trash talk about something. But in my experience don't get the ac. If it has a three year warrenty you'll need it. On the other hand I know people who trashed theirs and their arctic cats were as reliable as they come. Owning a 700 prairie I am a huge fan of the kawasaki v twin engines like the one found on the arctic cat 650v2. I don't want to get on here and bash arctic cats but the one that I had left a very bad impression on me. Maybe I got a lemon I don't know but, I do know, it will be my last arctic cat.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

I'll be the first in line to pan the Rincon for it's lowsy suspension in technical terrain. But I have to say the 3-speed torque-converter based auto tranny is the Rincon's best feature. By far! That beast can climb with a fury. Pin it and point, you'll climb it.

Quick Reply: Am I stupid or not?