Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

removing a 300ex axle, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fellas, I am trying to replace the axle carrier bearings on my 300ex. I need some pointers on how to remove the two oeice axle nut next to the brake rotor. I need all the info I can get.

Old 11-14-2000, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

#1: Jack up ATV and remove tires
#2: Remove axle bearing carrier bolts - the ones you loosen to tighten the chain and the one underneath
#3: Take chain, brakes, and rotor off ( I think the sprocket too- I did to clean it)

Then you "break loose" the joint by turning the inside nut down, and the outside one up. Once you do that, turn the inside one AND the outside one down far enuff to see/remove the o-ring that is on the axle. After removing the o-ring, back outside nut off the axle threads and off the axle. Then take the "lock spline" off. Take hammer and a block of wood to bang out the axle from "passenger side" to "drivers side".

This is what I remember, it has been awile. But basically once you get the nuts loosened, its ALL down hill. Also, before starting, try to mark the original location of the inside axle nut with paint or a marker so you know where it should end up when your finished.

Old 11-15-2000, 02:30 PM
Range Rover

might be easier to break loose the nuts before you take the rear brakes off, have a buddy hold the brake down while you turn the wrench

Old 11-17-2000, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

Leave the brakes on until you get the nuts loose. Holding the brake will help. You still will need two big wrenches (pipe wrenches will work)& add a longer piece of pipe for leverage, if needed. Just remember that both nuts are left hand thread! The O ring that the previous post is referring to is really a metal lock ring (or snap ring). You will need a good punch or take it to a machine shop to remove the old bearings from the carrier. Good luck!