Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Foreman-Any way to lock into 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Foreman-Any way to lock into 4wd?

I am thinking about buying a Honda foreman. Does anybody know if there is a kit that I can buy that will allow me to lock the foreman into 4wd and bypass the limited slip? I can't imaging why a company like Honda won't allow you to lock your atv into 4wd...

Old 03-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

as soon as you flip the switch your in 4x4, the only time it will go into 3 wheeler mode is if you put a tire in the air, but even then you can still get it to lock up if you try hard enough, you can buy a lock made by detroit which will full lock it up

Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Even if you get one wheel in the air (zero traction), if you apply a little front brake while on the throtle, all 4 wheels will go.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

not sure what your asking, you mean lock the front axle? a locker? I can't imagine you are talking about 4X2 vs 4X4

if so, you can buy a spool locker and have 4 wheel drive all the time for $40

if you want a gearless locker you can have the outside wheel spin faster in a turn (so you don't have that binding and hard turning effort) but still never have one wheel spin and the other not. a little more expensive at a little over $300.

The torsen works pretty well for me. If it doesn't I have a winch, but I go everywhere the locker guys do without winching. Usually we all get stuck in the same spots, locker or not.

90% of riders don't need better than a torsen. The other 10% can always buy another brand or install one of these options.

I haven't seen any reviews on the DGL from someone that has a lot of time with one. I'd like to know how they work and hold up in real life. I like the idea that it's always there without having to switch it on, but I also like how I have drive a little smarter and work a little harder to keep from getting stuck - it adds to my fun.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I need something for hunting and hauling small trailer loads. I am not as worried about getting stuck as I am about climbing small steep slopes (rice field levees). I am interested in buying a Foreman, but my understanding is that when you switch into 4wd, you really switch into a limited slip 4wd. Is that inaccurate? It sounds like the spool lock will work for me, though. Does the spool lock keep you in 4x4 all time, or does it have a switch? Sorry for the ignorance...this will be my first atv, so I don't have very much practical experience other than riding on some of my buddies'. Any advice/experience/help is appreciated.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

when 4x4 is selected, full power is sent to the front and rear, the front and rear propeller shafts are locked together, there is no difference in power there.

the limited-slip comes in when there is a difference in traction in either of the front wheels. If the rear tires break loose and have no traction, the front tires have to do some work. the one with the least traction will logically start to spin, so the limited slip takes over and attempts to make the other wheel spin, so that power is divided somewhat equally between each wheel

the rear axle doesnt have this since it's a solid rear axle, both tires spin at the same speed

in either case, in 4wd you will have AT LEAST 3 wheels with power.
if the limited slip system works well, you'll have 3 wheels spinning at the same speed, and the other front will be spinning somewhat slower, but will still have some power.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

That clears up a lot. Thank you very much.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Range Rover

Climbing small steep slopes will not be a problem the limited slip will do fine...The only time you would need a locker is in very deep mud or snow...I have a Foreman and never needed a locker...

Old 03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

they sell on ebay for about 350$