Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

relationship between manual shifter and rev. neutral light

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relationship between manual shifter and rev. neutral light

On a 2000 Rancher 4X4 FM (Manual Shift) what is the relationship between the manual shifter and the reverse/neutral light. Is there a sensor anywhere? I have checked all wiring and all is good. I was having previous issues as to when I put the ATV in reverse and then back in neutral the reverse light would stay on but the atv was in neutral, and sometimes when I put it in first then back to neutral the neutral light would not come on. Now neither the reverse or neutral light comes on and the atv will not turn over. again, I checked all the wiring and it is narrowing down to the relationship between the shifter and the neutral/reverse lights. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

a very frustrated bstick0928

Old 03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Range Rover

i have the 2000 rancher 4x4 es but working one day i had a wire get knocked loose not sure if its same on a ms right under the engine theirs a plug that tells it to go in reverse and stuff id check that if yours has it make sure its connected mine was loose and i couldnt shift into reverse i could go up and down the foward gears to.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

seen this deal before, you have a broken shift drum. Then end of the shfit drum is sloted and turns a switch that is inside the rear cover. the ends of the shift drums were cut too small and they would break off. They don't go anywhere and the shfit fine. You may want to take it into your dealer Honda may buy it for you or aleast parts.

If you do it yourself you have to order a 03, they make a kit now but you have to buy a whole cover and that's expense way. I have done dozens of these and never hade a problem using the 03, that's what Honda told us to do in the first place.
It is a pretty major job remove engine disasemble and replace shfit drum and make sure all transmission washers are in place and so forth

Old 03-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys, thanks for all the responses, but I did find the problem and it turned out to be the assembly switch or something like that. It is in the case, but can also be over ridden with a jumper. Need to use a toggle switch to start machine now, but save a ton of money and frustration..

thanks again,

bstick

Old 03-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Switch Assembly was the name of the part that went bad. Appears the ground on the mechanism inside the case went bad.....

Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Ah NO, you have a broken shift drum, you said that when you went from revrse to netural it the revrse light stayed on. I am a service tech so like I said I have done lots of these.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep... end of the shift drum is broke. You cannot test a switch that is not switching.
FYI-- when the shift drum is ordered for older Ranchers, the number has been superceded to the newer drum with the thicker end.
If the shift drum were to be replaced the engine will have to be removed and the crankcase seperated to access it. When the new shift drum is to be installed, the origional needle bearing, where the shift drum slips into the rear crankcase half, must be driven out to allow for the thicker ended drum to be installed. That end of the shift drum is what turns the gear position switch, housed within the rear engine cover. The switch cannot be accessed without taking off the rear engine cover. It is bolted onto it from the inside.

You are right, wiring a switch in is the 'cheapest way' to cure the problem. If a flake from the broken shift drum end and passes through the transmission gears, the price on the 'cheapest way' just overcome the correct repair cost.

----- Gregg -----

Old 03-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Shift Drum..... OK uggghhhhh

Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

You guys have convinced me. Shift Drum it is. Now let me ask one more question: Looking at a microfiche what part do I need to order?

Does the Haynes manual show complete engine removal etc..... I definitely do not have the funds to bring it to a dealer, so I have to do it myself.. Not what I am looking forward to doing......

Old 03-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bstick0928
You guys have convinced me. Shift Drum it is. Now let me ask one more question: Looking at a microfiche what part do I need to order?

Does the Haynes manual show complete engine removal etc..... I definitely do not have the funds to bring it to a dealer, so I have to do it myself.. Not what I am looking forward to doing......
I too have done a few of these. You will need the updated shift drum, gasket kit and Hondabond (for cases and engine covers that don't use a gasket), minimum. If everything looks ok (piston, rings, etc.) when you tear apart the engine you shouldn't need anything else.

If you don't have a manual, get one. OEM is the best but costs more. No matter what kind you buy, it will pay for itself the first time you use it.

Quick Reply: relationship between manual shifter and rev. neutral light