Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

muffler-less

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler-less

hey guys
i got an 05 rancher and i was wondering if it would cause any damage to the engine if i took the muffler off. i know it's loud but im just wondering

thanks
tom ford

Old 04-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Range Rover
Default muffler-less

yes it would, the engine needs some back pressure to run right, plus you would need to rejet, if you dont your machine will be running lean and eventually blow up.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default muffler-less

WHY?

I would rather you keep the muffler on & remove the engine.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default muffler-less

Any time you flow more air through an engine you will need to give it more fuel. Most OEM mufflers are very restrictive to tame the noise but they also clog up the exhaust tract.
The less backpressure an engine has the more air you can flow through it and the more power you will make. That being said, if you take the muff off your going to more than likely need to rejet.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default muffler-less

Why? well just a queston and someone told me it would do some damage to the engine and i was just wondering

thanks

tom ford

Old 04-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default muffler-less

I'll second that damage. No good reason to go without a muffler, unless it falls off while out trail riding or something.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default muffler-less

Yes you can warp the valves. And after that, you can imagine the following damage. Just get an aftermarket pipe, at least you'll gain power in a useable range. Or if it's just the noise you're after, then make some brap brap noises in your head while you ride. You could even use that mod sitting still without the motor running, plus it's free.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default muffler-less

tomford the bottom line is your not going to race a rancher. You won't warp valves, nor does the engine need backpressure. On the contrary, you need a good scavenging effect.
The only harm an open pipe might cause to an engine is a lean condition. The reason it is a "might" is because an open pipe does not mean more air flow all of the time. Sometimes an aircleaner, carb or intake is the most restrictive part of the whole tract.
Another problem with an open pipe is low end power. You will move your torque curve up by putting on an open pipe. With a low RPM engine this is not a good thing.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default muffler-less

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
tomford the bottom line is your not going to race a rancher. You won't warp valves, nor does the engine need backpressure. On the contrary, you need a good scavenging effect.
The only harm an open pipe might cause to an engine is a lean condition. The reason it is a "might" is because an open pipe does not mean more air flow all of the time. Sometimes an aircleaner, carb or intake is the most restrictive part of the whole tract.
Another problem with an open pipe is low end power. You will move your torque curve up by putting on an open pipe. With a low RPM engine this is not a good thing.
Wow, engines don't need backpressure? Wrong. I guarantee you will loose HP by completely removing a muffler/pipe. You mention the scavaging effect--how is there going to be scavaging wihout anything there to do it? The wide open air will not do it.

And yes you could warp valves with no muffler & it has absolutley nothing to do with racing and everything to do with them able to cool too fast with no pipe. He is not talking an open pipe, the title of the thread is muffler-LESS and you should quit advising him to do so.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default muffler-less

Wow, engines don't need backpressure? Wrong. I guarantee you will loose HP by completely removing a muffler/pipe. You mention the scavaging effect--how is there going to be scavaging wihout anything there to do it? The wide open air will not do it.
And yes you could warp valves with no muffler & it has absolutley nothing to do with racing and everything to do with them able to cool too fast with no pipe. He is not talking an open pipe, the title of the thread is muffler-LESS and you should quit advising him to do so.
Ha ha ha ha.........ooookkk, are you recomending that I put a muffler on the race car that is on my profile page? Check it out.
Are you saying that I will pick up power with a muffler? Are you saying that I will have MORE flow with a muffler which will give me more HP and torque?

BTW, tomford said nothing about removing the pipe in his post. Where do you see the word pipe in his post? Your the only person that mentioned pipe. I might point out to you that PIPE and MUFFLER are two different things. The more I read your post the more I think you don't know there is a difference. There is.

About the valves. Should the engine on my profile's page be torn down after every run because the valves will warp? After all, I'm running muffler-less and you said that will cool the valves too fast which will warp them.

You need to call up Warren Johnson and tell him to bolt a set of mufflers on his Pro-stock. I'm sure he will "enjoy" your speed secret. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

He is not talking an open pipe, the title of the thread is muffler-LESS and you should quit advising him to do so.
I was not advising him of doing anything. He asked a question, and I gave him a quick solid answer, backed up with facts and years of engine building and tuning experience.