Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Fixing up 250R

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2000, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had planned on buying a 400ex or Raptor for GNCC racing. I am now thinking about just buying a 250R and setting it up. Of course now I have questions.

Is there one year that is better than others?
Is it easy to get the electrical parts?
What should I look for on the quad when I go to buy it? Weak spots or cracks?
What parts are hard to find if they need replacing?
Who are some of the good aftermarket shops to deal with?
Did all 250R models come with headlights mounted like they are on the 400ex?

All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

98 Polaris Scrambler 4x4 (fast and great for muddy races, but tired of fixing it all the time-NO DURABILITY!!)

Old 11-18-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

The 88 and 89 are the best years, because they had shorter swingarms, and a longer stroke (more power).
Its not too hard to get electrical parts.
Yes. You should look for cracks, welds, etc. Make sure the quad you look at doesnt smoke excessively, the engine runs smooth, and that it has the proper amount of compression. (important).
Most parts are kinda difficult to find for a stocker, but the aftermarket makes finding parts easy.
Nacs racing, Baldwin Motorsports, Duncan racing, Denton Racing, TCS, KandK atv, Rocky Mountain ATV are some of the nicest and most efficient ive ever delt with.
No, just the 88 and 89 had that headlight.
Hope i have helped.

Old 11-18-2000, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info.

Now for an even more subjective question--How much should I pay? Is it much more valuable if modified or stock?

Was the frame pretty much the same throughout all the model years?

Again thanks for all the help.

Old 11-18-2000, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

well some say the 88-89 is better some say the 86-87 is better the 89 had a up-dated that made it ez'r to pull (but you can get it for $60) and the 87-89 had the longer stroke the 88-89 did have a little better ports for lowend power but if you get it ported that prob is gone. i think it is more important to get one in better shape 87-86 than 88-89 if you have a choice and it may take you a long time to find a 88-89

Old 11-18-2000, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

You guys should check your facts before you give incorrect information about 250R's. The stroke on all years of the TRX250R is the same at 72mm. The bore is also the same at 66mm. The rod length was changed in 87 but that doesn't effect the stroke in any way. The stroke is determined by vertical distance traveled by the piston. To change the stroke you must relocate the rod on the crank, therefore making it a stroker. The short rod in the 86 supposedly revs faster, but the 87-89 is said to be a little bit more reliable. The piston in the 86 has a different pin location because of the shorter rod, but it can be used with a spacer plate on a long rod engine. The 86 piston also has a large cutout on the intake side, where the 88-89 has a small rectangular window. The cylinder porting on the 86 models is quite different than the 88-89's. The 88-89 CDI is better. I would not be hard to make an 86 just as fast if not faster than an 88-89 engine because they are not really that different at all. Many of the parts are exactly the same. If you look for an 88-89, you are going to pay a bunch. You could probably find a more reasonably priced 86 or 87 model. As far as weak points on the chassis. Check the subframe in back where the plastic mounts, the steering stem brace, the shock mounts, the motor mounts and the swingarm pivot for damage. Usually, the frames are in good shape unless they have been raced really hard.

Old 11-19-2000, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with RayChalp.. .the bore and stroke on all stock R's is the same.
Headlights on 86-87 were bar mounted, 88-89 were cowling mounted. You can put any year R plastic on any year R, it all fits. Many people with 88-89 don't like the headlight mount so they get an 86-87 hoodpiece. Stock plastic comes in red or white fenders with red or blue cowl.
The front suspension was changed on the 88-89. The A-arms were reconfigured forward and the camber adjustment was removed. The swingarm was shortened on the 88-89. With the reconfigureing of the A-arms and the shorter swingarm it is supposed to turn better.
How much to pay? How much do you have? The price range on these is crazy. I paid $1900 for an 86 that needed a little work and tires. I paid $2800 for an 87 that was beautiful and needed nothing. I have a friend that paid $3500 for an 87 that needed one wheel, new bars, carb rebuild, tie-rods and plastic. I've seen 89's advertised for as much as $6000, 86's for as much as $3800. Just depends on what you want, what condition you're willing to buy. I've heard of people getting a thrashed one for as low as $900 and then they fixed it. My brother found a very nice 86 for $1000 (it was a divorce thing and the wife sold it out from under her husband, but my brother was willing to take advantage of the situation).
If you want internal engine mods done. . NEVER. . .I repeat NEVER! Take it to Trinity Racing. They really suck when working on Hondas.

Old 11-19-2000, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys
Here is my take on the 250 deal I picked my 87 up for 1500. It was mint and need only a rear fender the owner went over backwards and cracked it. When it came time to buy my wife one I looked at a lot of junk from $2500-3500.I found a like new 89 for $4500. That I missed out on by a day. They are out there but they go fast a least here in Washington if your not the first out it is sold.
Good Luck
Spencer

Old 11-19-2000, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Something I noticed..the stock '86 frame maybe stromger?My '86 has an extra diaganal support {compared to my '87} under motor mnts.The motor mounts are heavier& stronger looking,Also an extra skid plate-like peice weided on below the lower A-arm mounts which would help if machine bottoms out hard.I agree with above post..if you want an R better think twice before walking away from one thats priced to sell..they can be very hard to find. Almost everything can be gotten for it either stock or aftermarket.Just do a little shopping for best prices.

Old 11-19-2000, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

yes i am sorry about posting that you are right that the strock is the same the rod is differant in 87-89 i am sorry i try to not post wrong info but some times i do slip.

Old 11-20-2000, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the responses so far. I am finding alot of junk or quads set up for mx. I race in the woods and it is a much different set up.

I feel that any year I buy I will be happy.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

Quick Reply: Fixing up 250R