Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How do you load it when you are alone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you load it when you are alone?

Fellas:
I have been experimenting with the best way to get my Honda on and off my Ford F150. I have the two metal ramps that work ok for the most part, but wondered if any of you drive it up the ramps, or just use the throttle to accelerate up? I have to load it at the bottom of the driveway to reduce the incline. I also have used an electric winch that was inside of the bed to pull it up there. Getting it off alone is a little more of a challenge, and I was going to attempt backing the atv on the truck, so that I could come off forward. Any help would be great.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.4atvtires.com/uploads/pro...ifoldfull1.gif

I use the #84

Best thing I've ever seen for loading/unloading. I drive up/down it in any weather with confidence.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

i would personally stay away from the double ramp setup (one ramp for each side, with space in the middle) because it's so easy to get your wheel off to one side especially when the tires are slippery with mud after a ride. I watched a buddy try to load his and his machine slipped off the right side and the right side fell into the middle, pinning him under the machine. I've heard of many people getting hurt or killed with those.

I have the folding aluminum ramp that when unfolded stretches across my whole tailgate, then it has cargo straps built on it to tie it up to the tailgate latches, so it can't slide back off the tailgate when i drive my machine up. It is the best way to go in my opinion, it works great and it folds nicely and it fits between my tires under my machine when folded up again. It goes wherever my machine goes. I bought it from my local dealer, might want to check out and see if you can get one.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

maybe you can find some ramps with a 2" ledge on the outside edge if not both sides of the ramp....if not, have some welded up once you get them...2"-3" may be better yet

Old 04-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

We use dual ramps, and use a ratchet sprap on each one and hook them to the bumper,
The stop on the ramp keep them from going foward, and the straps keep them from slipping back

Old 04-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a fairly short ramp, which is pretty steep on my 4x4. I've found that it is easiest to get your weight forward and ride up it. You do need just a bit of speed to carry some momentum, otherwise it has a tendency to pull the front wheels up and get out of line (not fun).

My ramp is a 3 section job that folds in 2 places, but I still safety strap it to the bumper to make sure it doesn't slip off the tailgate.

To get it down, I just push it out of the truck onto the ramp. It rolls around 20 feet and comes to a stop...

If you had a few bucks to spend, getting one of the nice, wide, 10' long ramps that fold length wise would make it pretty fool proof. If I were to do it again, I would get something like this so I would be able to load the Harley into the trailer or truck without bottoming out.

Example of nice ramp

Another Example of Nice Ramp

Old 04-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

Your best solution would be to buy or build a trailer that is low enough to the ground to lift each end onto by hand or drive up a loading gate. Mount a truck tool box on it to store gas, spare chain, spare plugs, tools, air pump, straps, cooler etc in. While you are out on the trails your stuff will be locked in the tool box and ready should you need it. I have a 6 x 10 landscape trailer with a truck bed tool box mounted to the front rail with thumb screws that go from the inside of the toolbox through the front rail. I can fit two full size atv's on it sideways. In the box I have appx 3 (1) gallon containers of gas, spare chain and link, a couple of quarts of motor oil, decent tool kit, tow and ratchet straps, jumpstart battery, spare plugs, duct tape, zip ties, electrical tape, foot tire pump, co2 catridges and tire fill unit, wd40, chain lube, air filter oil, tire plug kit, small bottle of brake fluid, rags, glass cleaner, first aid kit, cooler for soda/gatorade and some other misc items. Two thumbscrews and I can take the whole toolbox off and pull it into the garage. You can lock it when you're out on the trails to ensure everything is still there when you get back and your loading and unloading problem is solved. Some of us wouldn't think twice on spending $500 on a muffler or rear shock, why not spend it on something to get you to and from where you are riding and have some necessities for the ride with you.

i8amm

Old 04-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

well if its light enough i find picking the front end up and sitein it n the back first then pick the back up and slide it n....if not then i recomend u go and buy one of those solid ramps that fold up and r easy to take with u anywere u need to go

Old 05-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: whitebrothers
well if its light enough i find picking the front end up and sitein it n the back first then pick the back up and slide it n....if not then i recomend u go and buy one of those solid ramps that fold up and r easy to take with u anywere u need to go
Yeah that's how I do it if I'm loading onto a truck instead of a railer. It's actually harder on the smaller trucks. Even though you don't have to lift as high, you have to push the front tires over the wheel wells and guide them so you don't push over the edge.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JeffinTD
If you had a few bucks to spend, getting one of the nice, wide, 10' long ramps that fold length wise would make it pretty fool proof. If I were to do it again, I would get something like this so I would be able to load the Harley into the trailer or truck without bottoming out.

Example of nice ramp

Another Example of Nice Ramp
I didn't know that those ramps were made! I fabricated mine about 9 years ago (see pics). I have only 2 pins to remove to take the ramps off (for when i want to use the original tailgate). I never have to worry about storing the ramps when driving.

Quick Reply: How do you load it when you are alone?